Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting Traffic Light System

Hi there,

I operate a spreadsheet which requires a traffic light system of RED,
AMBER and GREEN depending on the values within the spreadsheet. I'm
having some difficulties formatting the sheet correctly to allow the
appropriate cell to change colour.

For example:

Cell A2 contains the date on which the fault was reported. This is the
date which the formula refers to.

Cell F2 is a blank cell which needs to change colour based on how many
days it has been since the fault was reported. 90 days and under is
GREEN. 91 - 182 days are AMBER. 183 - 365 days are RED.

I have found several formulas which would not allow either the AMBER
or the RED to total up correctly. I have also found formulas which
would allow this but only in Cell A2 where the date is stored and not
F2 which is the blank cell with no value.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select Cell F2, format the cell green, and then choose Format / CF with the Formula is option.

Use a formula

=AND(TODAY()=(A2+91), TODAY()<=(A2+182))

and format for amber, then add another condition, and use the formula is with

=AND(TODAY()=(A2+183), TODAY()<=(A2+365))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Custard Tart" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi there,

Thanks for the help but I'm a little confused by a few of your steps
and have some further questions.

Select Cell F2, format the cell green,

Why would I format the cell green first and not choose it from the
"patterns" option when I enter the formula?

and format for amber

Am I adding another condition and another formula for this or do you
mean that the amber would then override the cell's normal green
colour?

Also, I'd like to know how to extend the formula for all of column A
to be included if anyone adds extra dates and for all of column F to
change based on this?

Is there a way for column F to start out as white rather than be green
by default?

Thanks for your help!
CT
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

CT,

Forget about formatting the default green - use your white, and use a third CF with the formula

=TODAY()<=(A2+90)

You can try Tools / Options Edit tab, check "Extend data range formats and formulas" That option
may work, if your columns F and A are 'connected' somehow. I don't find it to be reliable, so you
can fall back on just copying the formatting down the column - the cells will be white until one of
the conditions is met.