Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default traffic light in excel

The conditional formatting & other examples I've seen don't quite give me
enough options - we are using Excel for project-like lists (because, unlike
Project, it can slice, dice, count according to various strategic
parameters). For those projects, besides metrics & tasks, dates, etc., we
are capturing "status". Besides the typical red-amber-green, we have three
others (New, completed-but-late, and due-date-revised). I'd love to do a
drop down election (using wing-dings) for "status", and thought I could
create a colourized wing-ding list to do so - but display within the drop
downs doesn't show the symbols (but rather the "text" equivalent) even when /
if I change the cell's font to wingdings. Am I asking too much?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Am I asking too much?

Yes, you are. You would need to use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting
value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to
display.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Lumar" wrote in message
The conditional formatting & other examples I've seen don't quite give me
enough options - we are using Excel for project-like lists (because, unlike
Project, it can slice, dice, count according to various strategic
parameters). For those projects, besides metrics & tasks, dates, etc., we
are capturing "status". Besides the typical red-amber-green, we have three
others (New, completed-but-late, and due-date-revised). I'd love to do a
drop down election (using wing-dings) for "status", and thought I could
create a colourized wing-ding list to do so - but display within the drop
downs doesn't show the symbols (but rather the "text" equivalent) even when /
if I change the cell's font to wingdings. Am I asking too much?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The easiest way is to use the Harvey Balls font (available for free at:
http://www.ambor.com/public/hb/harveyballs.html

This will let you make the underlying status a number (which you can create
with a formula or just by typing it in) and then that will automatically
display the corresponding traffic light. With some conditional formating you
can do colours, etc. as well.

ambanmba

"Lumar" wrote:

drop down election (using wing-dings) for "status", and thought I could
create a colourized wing-ding list to do so - but display within the drop
downs doesn't show the symbols (but rather the "text" equivalent) even when /
if I change the cell's font to wingdings. Am I asking too much?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jason
Check this site http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#lights
HTH
John

"Lumar" wrote in message
The conditional formatting & other examples I've seen don't quite give me
enough options - we are using Excel for project-like lists (because, unlike
Project, it can slice, dice, count according to various strategic
parameters). For those projects, besides metrics & tasks, dates, etc., we
are capturing "status". Besides the typical red-amber-green, we have three
others (New, completed-but-late, and due-date-revised). I'd love to do a
drop down election (using wing-dings) for "status", and thought I could
create a colourized wing-ding list to do so - but display within the drop
downs doesn't show the symbols (but rather the "text" equivalent) even when
/
if I change the cell's font to wingdings. Am I asking too much?