Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding the total # of characters in multiple cells

Two things I would like to automate:

I need to add the total number of characters in up to 5 cells to know that
they do not exceed 75 characters total. Anyone know how I can do this?

Example: character count in cells B, D, F, H, J = total # of characters used

Also, I would like to just be able to click on a cell and see how many
characters are in that cell, or at least know that it is less than 285
characters.

These are easy to do in Word with the tool word count, is there anything
like it in Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Take a look at the LEN function

=LEN(A1) will return the number of characters in cell A1

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"SAMCAT" wrote in message
Two things I would like to automate:

I need to add the total number of characters in up to 5 cells to know that
they do not exceed 75 characters total. Anyone know how I can do this?

Example: character count in cells B, D, F, H, J = total # of characters
used

Also, I would like to just be able to click on a cell and see how many
characters are in that cell, or at least know that it is less than 285
characters.

These are easy to do in Word with the tool word count, is there anything
like it in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

because the cells are in every other column, and lets say on row 1 you can
use the following:

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(B1:J1)*(MOD(COLUMN(B1:J1),2)=0))

As for a word count by clicking a cell - if you want that you will need
code. Suppose you want this for all sheets in the workbook:

Add this code to the thisWorkbook object in the VBE:

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target
As Range)
If ActiveCell < "" Then
MsgBox Len(ActiveCell), vbDefaultButton1 + vbInformation, "Character
Count:"

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire