Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rajesh Mehmi Rajesh Mehmi is offline

Default Adding the total # of characters in multiple cells

Hi
This shouls work for the first part, you could try using conditional
formatting for the 285

=LEN(B19)+LEN(D19)+LEN(F19)+LEN(H19)+LEN(J19)

Regards
Rajesh Mehmi

"SAMCAT" wrote in message
Two things I would like to automate:

I need to add the total number of characters in up to 5 cells to know that
they do not exceed 75 characters total. Anyone know how I can do this?

Example: character count in cells B, D, F, H, J = total # of characters
used

Also, I would like to just be able to click on a cell and see how many
characters are in that cell, or at least know that it is less than 285
characters.

These are easy to do in Word with the tool word count, is there anything
like it in Excel?