Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default FAQ : Answers to show in another cell

I am trying to create a FAQ in Excel 2003, I have the list of questions, but
I am not able to have the answers show up in a different cell. For example:
if the Questions are in cell E5, I want the answers to show up automatically
in F7. Can anyone help me with this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Consider using VLOOKUP().

Have a Q/A table somewhere in the spreadsheet and when the FAQ is selected
in E5 the answer will appear in F7
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200857

"gwtechie72" wrote:

I am trying to create a FAQ in Excel 2003, I have the list of questions, but
I am not able to have the answers show up in a different cell. For example:
if the Questions are in cell E5, I want the answers to show up automatically
in F7. Can anyone help me with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You first define a table array. It should contain ALL the possible
questions you want to include in the first, leftmost column. Then a
column of cell for the answers. THAT IS your table array. You either
give it a name, or point at it by marking it just like you would for a
copy and paste operation (highlight) That will yield a small string
like:

A1:B35

That is a 35 line array for 35 questions

The column index is 2 since you only have to columns. The column index
is an indicator to the function of which lookup column you want to pick
data from. The count is from the original lookup value. This way, you
can have a larger array, and use the same lookup value (question 1 as a
sample) and fill in data from one of several columns. So if you had a
three column set of data, you could choose the column just to the right
of the lookup value (column index 2) or two columns over (column index
3). The lookup column is column index 1. Use "FALSE" in the last box as
you want literal lookups (exact match).

So, for an A and B column table of 25 questions, your string would look
like:

=VLOOKUP(E5,A1:B25,2,FALSE)

You could call the entire column with A:B

IF you had a multi-column array. Since you only have two columns in your
array, the index will always be 2

If you "name" the array with a name, like FAQ_Answers (select array,
place cursor in upper left corner of sheet and type in a name) the
formula would look like this:

VLOOKUP(E5,FAQ_Answers,2,FALSE)

"gwtechie72" wrote:

I am trying to create a FAQ in Excel 2003, I have the list of questions, but
I am not able to have the answers show up in a different cell. For example:
if the Questions are in cell E5, I want the answers to show up automatically
in F7. Can anyone help me with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Refer the below for help on VLOOKUP()
http://www.contextures.com/xlfunctions02.html