Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I show a percentage by counting the number of yes answers?

Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome.

Try: =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")/COUNTA(A1:A100)

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Meenie" wrote:

Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I show a percentage by counting the number of yes answe

Or, if another value may possibly be in the column:

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")/(COUNTIF(A1:A100, "No")+COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes"))

"Meenie" wrote:

Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")/COUNTA(A1:A100) and format as percent
Percent is merely a ratio of "special"/"total" multiplied by 100

In my math 12 out of 13 is 92% not 90
Suppose there were 2 answers with just one Yes (that is one less than the
total) the answer is 50% not 90%!!!!!!!

best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This ALMOST works, DaveF, but only for a question with ALL yes
answers. All yesses get 100% but if there is one no and the rest yes,
I get 66.67% instead of 90%. And no clue how to make it think like my
boss, LOL

"Meenie" wrote:

Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bernard,
I know, it doesn't seem logical, but it's what my boss wants.
These are charts being checked and she just wants the compliance to
show as 100%, 90%, 80%... so if the chart had a particular form in
it, signed and finished as it should be, that would be 100% compliance.
if 5 charts had all of that form correct - 100%, but if 4 charts out of 5
had it, then it would be 90%, if 3, 80%.
You would think that 3 out of 6, for example, would be 50%, but she wants
that to be 70%. (10% off for each 'no')
Hope that makes sense. It's driving me crazy LOL

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I understand but please do not call it percent!
Your boss graduated in Arts, I take it
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ROFL! Actually we work in the medical field... with people not numbers usually!
It's just a way of showing compliance with the paperwork that has to be
done, but no one wants to do because it takes them away from what they need to
be doing - taking care of the patients!
But of course, there has to be a record of everything :)
Thanks Bernard :) I appreciate your help!

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By Jove, I think you've got it!
Thank you Sean! :D That works rather well!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

So, if 10% off for each no,
=1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1)

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You guys are AWESOME!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Mastered in Expressionism...

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What do you do with 15 charts, where 11 are "NO"?

MINUS compliance ... -10%

RD

"Meenie" wrote in message
By Jove, I think you've got it!
Thank you Sean! :D That works rather well!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

So, if 10% off for each no,
=1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1)

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one
is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, that would be some bad compliance, eh?

=if(1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1) < 0,0,1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1))

would ensure no less than 0% compliance.

Thank you for pointing out the danger!

"Meenie" wrote in message
By Jove, I think you've got it!
Thank you Sean! :D That works rather well!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

So, if 10% off for each no,
=1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1)

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one
is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We know. :-P

Thank you for your support!

Wish I got this kind of positive feedback at work!

"Meenie" wrote:

You guys are AWESOME!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Mastered in Expressionism...

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Comment was really meant for the OP ... to try to convince the "boss" of the
futility of trying to "invent" and adopt this sort of "progressive" math,
that follows *no* logical path.

This is the type of thinking that my grandkids are having to put up with in
today's "modern" (California) schools!

RD

"RagDyer" wrote:

What do you do with 15 charts, where 11 are "NO"?

MINUS compliance ... -10%

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
"Meenie" wrote in message
By Jove, I think you've got it!
Thank you Sean! :D That works rather well!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

So, if 10% off for each no,
=1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1)

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions

and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary,

but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if

one
is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Managed to convince the powers that be to make 10 charts the mandatory number
:)
KISS principle <G

"Meenie" wrote in message
By Jove, I think you've got it!
Thank you Sean! :D That works rather well!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

So, if 10% off for each no,
=1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1)

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions

and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary,

but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if

one
is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CONGRATULATIONS!<bg

RD

"Meenie" wrote in message
By Jove, I think you've got it!
Thank you Sean! :D That works rather well!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

So, if 10% off for each no,
=1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1)