Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Meenie Meenie is offline

Default How do I show a percentage by counting the number of yes answe

By Jove, I think you've got it!
Thank you Sean! :D That works rather well!

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

So, if 10% off for each no,
=1-(countif(a1:a100,"No")*.1)

"Meenie" wrote:

Hi Bernard,
I know, it doesn't seem logical, but it's what my boss wants.
These are charts being checked and she just wants the compliance to
show as 100%, 90%, 80%... so if the chart had a particular form in
it, signed and finished as it should be, that would be 100% compliance.
if 5 charts had all of that form correct - 100%, but if 4 charts out of 5
had it, then it would be 90%, if 3, 80%.
You would think that 3 out of 6, for example, would be 50%, but she wants
that to be 70%. (10% off for each 'no')
Hope that makes sense. It's driving me crazy LOL

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")/COUNTA(A1:A100) and format as percent
Percent is merely a ratio of "special"/"total" multiplied by 100

In my math 12 out of 13 is 92% not 90
Suppose there were 2 answers with just one Yes (that is one less than the
total) the answer is 50% not 90%!!!!!!!

best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Meenie" wrote in message
Thank you DaveF for "=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")"
That worked wonderfully... NOW I need to know how to
make it show the percentage - ie - if there are 13 questions and
13 are answered "yes" that would be 100%, if 12 answered yes it
would be 90%, 11 = 80%, etc. The number of questions may vary, but
if all questions are answered yes, it will always be 100%, if one is
answered no, 90%, etc.
(Does this make sense? yikes)
Thanks!