Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JJA JJA is offline

Default How do I associate text with a number?

I have a list of thousands of employees with a security clearance number
between 1 to 20. I now need to substitute that number with a position or
title. Example 5= manager. On each seperate work sheet I am substituting of
one number at a time (all 5's to managers). However, it needs to be done
1-20 on each sheet. With a seperate worksheet for every department
(hundreds), it will take a week. Is there a way it can be formulated? How
do I associate/substitute a number with a text and back again?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

a security clearance number between 1 to 20.

Create a 2 column table with the number in the left column and the
corresponding title in the right column:

...........A..........B
1........1.......title1
2........2.......title2
3........3.......title3
20....20.......title20

Then, assume D1 contains the security clearance number:

D1 = 4

Use this formula to get the corresponding title:

=INDEX(B$1:B$20,D1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP