Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Look up part of serial number and copy back associate info

I am re-writing this request as the answer do not match the resquest
I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs.

First tab is named inventory
In column H the are serial numbers in the following formats
ABBC.####### (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
ABBC.#######_RM (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
ABBC.#######_FT (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
The only part of the serial number that interests me is the middle numbers
(7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
In column A I have a list of part code associated to the serial number
Example:
Sheet inventory
A H
123 ABBC.1234467
456 ABBC.1234547_RM
897 ABBC.1234564_FT

In my second tab called parts
In column E there is a list of the middle numbers found in the first tab
(i.e. 1234567)
Example
Sheet parts
E L
1234547
1234564
1234467

In my I would like to look up the number in Column E from sheet parts
(my second tab) that is found somewhere in column H in the middle of the
serial number in sheet inventory,

In Sheet parts column E row E2=1234547 find this number (which is the
middle of the serial number ABBC.1234547_RM) in the list of serial numbers
in Sheet inventoryin column H (rows H2 to H8000)

get the associated part code from column A of sheet inventory and copy
it back into sheet parts (my second tab) in column L

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't multipost, just post in the same thread as the original one and be
more specific than

"I get an error"

Peo Sjoblom

"Seantastic" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps your response to Pete in your other post of 'it gives an error' is a
little vague. Pete's response worked just fine for me.
And you really really should stay away from a double post.
--
** John C **

"Seantastic" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I've responded to your original post.

Pete

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
[...]

it back into sheet "parts" (my second tab) in column "L"- Hide quoted text -