Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Seantastic Seantastic is offline

Default Look up part of serial number and copy back associate info

It says "The formula you typed in contains an error." and then highlights
A,MATCH

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Don't multipost, just post in the same thread as the original one and be
more specific than

"I get an error"

Peo Sjoblom

"Seantastic" wrote in message
I am re-writing this request as the answer do not match the resquest
I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs.

First tab is named "inventory"
In column "H" the are serial numbers in the following formats
ABBC.####### (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
ABBC.#######_RM (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
ABBC.#######_FT (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
The only part of the serial number that interests me is the middle numbers
(7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
In column "A" I have a list of "part code" associated to the serial number
Example:
Sheet "inventory"
A H
123 ABBC.1234467
456 ABBC.1234547_RM
897 ABBC.1234564_FT

In my second tab called "parts"
In column E there is a list of the middle numbers found in the first tab
(i.e. 1234567)
Example
Sheet "parts"
E L
1234547
1234564
1234467

In my I would like to look up the number in Column "E" from sheet "parts"
(my second tab) that is found somewhere in column "H" in the middle of the
serial number in sheet "inventory",

In Sheet "parts" column E row E2=1234547 find this number (which is the
middle of the serial number ABBC.1234547_RM) in the list of serial
numbers
in Sheet "inventory"in column H (rows H2 to H8000)

get the associated "part code" from column "A" of sheet "inventory" and
copy
it back into sheet "parts" (my second tab) in column "L"