Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Seantastic Seantastic is offline

Default Look up part of serial number and copy back associate info

I am re-writing this request as the answer do not match the resquest
I have a spreadsheet with 2 tabs.

First tab is named €śinventory€ť
In column €śH€ť the are serial numbers in the following formats
ABBC.####### (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
ABBC.#######_RM (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
ABBC.#######_FT (#=7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
The only part of the serial number that interests me is the middle numbers
(7 random numbers from 0 to 9)
In column €śA€ť I have a list of €śpart code€ť associated to the serial number
Example:
Sheet €śinventory€ť
A H
123 ABBC.1234467
456 ABBC.1234547_RM
897 ABBC.1234564_FT

In my second tab called €śparts€ť
In column E there is a list of the middle numbers found in the first tab
(i.e. 1234567)
Example
Sheet €śparts€ť
E L
1234547
1234564
1234467

In my I would like to look up the number in Column €śE€ť from sheet €śparts€ť
(my second tab) that is found somewhere in column €śH€ť in the middle of the
serial number in sheet €śinventory€ť,

In Sheet €śparts€ť column E row E2=1234547 find this number (which is the
middle of the serial number ABBC.1234547_RM) in the list of serial numbers
in Sheet €śinventory€ťin column H (rows H2 to H8000)

get the associated €śpart code€ť from column €śA€ť of sheet €śinventory€ť and copy
it back into sheet €śparts€ť (my second tab) in column €śL€ť