Bg

Default Show the Last entry

I built a basic spreadsheet (Excel 2002) the is used for check book
balancing. There will be over 100+ rows and I would like the current balance
to always show above the "freeze" line(row 5) in cell J4. Is there a formula
to display this?

TIA
Bg

Vasant Nanavati

If your current balance is in column J, array-enter the following formula
into cell J4 (use <Ctrl <Shift <Enter rather than just <Enter):

=INDEX(J5:J65536,MAX((J5:J65536<"")*ROW(J5:J65536 ))-4)

I'm sure there's a much more elegant way but this should do the job.
--

Vasant

"Bg" wrote in message
I built a basic spreadsheet (Excel 2002) the is used for check book
balancing. There will be over 100+ rows and I would like the current

balance
to always show above the "freeze" line(row 5) in cell J4. Is there a

formula
to display this?

TIA
Bg

bj

Unless you are going to enter the equation to subtract (add) the output from
(input to) the account in each line. I would just copy the Balance equation
down to some high row number. Set row 5 value to equal the bottom cell. and
if you don't want to see the non-input/output balance I would use conditional
formating to make the text be invisible [ equation "=
not(or(asset<0,debit<0))" format ";;;"] I would then protect this column so
that I wouldn't acidentally enter something over it. Concidering how I type,
It would be fairly often.