Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JBW JBW is offline

Default how to copy cell formatting in formula

This is going to be easy peasy I know, but it's got me stumped.

I need to copy a cells contents and format (not conditional) into a
frontsheet.

Using simple =example!C1 the cell contents come over but not the colouring

Help please
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 20, 5:43*am, JBW wrote:
This is going to be easy peasy I know, but it's got me stumped.

I need to copy a cells contents and format (not conditional) into a
frontsheet.

Using simple =example!C1 the cell contents come over but not the colouring

Help please

Hi

Copy your cell, then in the destination cell right click, choose Paste-
Special,
select "Values" if that's waht you want or "Formulas" if you want to
retain the formula. No formatting will come across.

Regards,
Justin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Justin Case" wrote:

On May 20, 5:43 am, JBW wrote:
This is going to be easy peasy I know, but it's got me stumped.

I need to copy a cells contents and format (not conditional) into a
frontsheet.

Using simple =example!C1 the cell contents come over but not the colouring

Help please

Hi

Copy your cell, then in the destination cell right click, choose Paste-
Special,
select "Values" if that's waht you want or "Formulas" if you want to
retain the formula. No formatting will come across.

Regards,
Justin

Not strictly true - if you have XL2007 then paste special All using source
theme - will copy format as well!
Another alternative:
Link two worksheets Alt click on the worksheet tabs, then whatever you
type or format on one sheet will be repeated in the same cell/group of cells
in the other sheet. Don't forget to unlink after you have finished.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JBW JBW is offline

guys I need the format to copy over as part of a formula.

eg. worksheet 1 cell A1 text says 'bob' cell is filled red
worksheet 2 cell A1 has formula =worksheet1!A1

So I would like the word Bob to pop up in worksheet 2 cell A1 and for the
cell to be filled red, as per the same cell it references in worksheet 1

"Ron@Buy" wrote:

"Justin Case" wrote:

On May 20, 5:43 am, JBW wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 20 May 2009 03:43:01 -0700, JBW wrote:

This is going to be easy peasy I know, but it's got me stumped.

I need to copy a cells contents and format (not conditional) into a
frontsheet.

Using simple =example!C1 the cell contents come over but not the colouring

Help please

It is not possible to copy formats using worksheet functions.

Functions only return values.

If the manual methods described are not satisfactory, you will need to either
pre-format the cells using conditional formatting, if that is appropriate, or
use a VBA Macro.
--ron