Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Links Between Folders

Hi
I have a number of workbook that are linked together. Each workbook
represents one month of data and the current month links to the previous
month. All the workbooks for one year are kept in one folder - so my January
workbook for one year links to the December workbook of the previous year,
which is in a different folder. My problem is, when I move the entire set of
workbooks (all years at the same time) to a different location on my
computer, all the links to a file within the same folder move and update
properly, but the links that are to the previous year (i.e. another folder)
try to link back to the previous file location. I tried making a zip file but
that did not seem to help. Is there anyway to get the links between folders
to update to the new location automatically when I move the file?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

EDIT | LINK

change the source

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Kathryn Gies" escreveu:

Hi
I have a number of workbook that are linked together. Each workbook
represents one month of data and the current month links to the previous
month. All the workbooks for one year are kept in one folder - so my January
workbook for one year links to the December workbook of the previous year,
which is in a different folder. My problem is, when I move the entire set of
workbooks (all years at the same time) to a different location on my
computer, all the links to a file within the same folder move and update
properly, but the links that are to the previous year (i.e. another folder)
try to link back to the previous file location. I tried making a zip file but
that did not seem to help. Is there anyway to get the links between folders
to update to the new location automatically when I move the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the prompt response.
However, I am sending these files to another person, and I don't want them
to have to update all the files by doing an "edit/link" function.
Specifically, I want to be able to give them one folder with all the
individual year folders in it (with links between files and folders) and have
the user be able to open and use the files without having to update the
links.

"Marcelo" wrote:

EDIT | LINK

change the source

hth
--

"Kathryn Gies" escreveu:

Hi
I have a number of workbook that are linked together. Each workbook
represents one month of data and the current month links to the previous
month. All the workbooks for one year are kept in one folder - so my January
workbook for one year links to the December workbook of the previous year,
which is in a different folder. My problem is, when I move the entire set of
workbooks (all years at the same time) to a different location on my
computer, all the links to a file within the same folder move and update
properly, but the links that are to the previous year (i.e. another folder)
try to link back to the previous file location. I tried making a zip file but
that did not seem to help. Is there anyway to get the links between folders
to update to the new location automatically when I move the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

have you think copy and paste values, for the files that you will send?

you can save your original files and send to them just values.

hth

--

"Kathryn Gies" escreveu:

Thanks for the prompt response.
However, I am sending these files to another person, and I don't want them
to have to update all the files by doing an "edit/link" function.
Specifically, I want to be able to give them one folder with all the
individual year folders in it (with links between files and folders) and have
the user be able to open and use the files without having to update the
links.

"Marcelo" wrote:

EDIT | LINK

change the source

hth
--

"Kathryn Gies" escreveu:

Hi
I have a number of workbook that are linked together. Each workbook
represents one month of data and the current month links to the previous
month. All the workbooks for one year are kept in one folder - so my January
workbook for one year links to the December workbook of the previous year,
which is in a different folder. My problem is, when I move the entire set of
workbooks (all years at the same time) to a different location on my
computer, all the links to a file within the same folder move and update
properly, but the links that are to the previous year (i.e. another folder)
try to link back to the previous file location. I tried making a zip file but
that did not seem to help. Is there anyway to get the links between folders
to update to the new location automatically when I move the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kathryn Gies <Kathryn wrote...
. . . My problem is, when I move the entire set of
workbooks (all years at the same time) to a different location on my
computer, all the links to a file within the same folder move and update
properly, but the links that are to the previous year (i.e. another folder)
try to link back to the previous file location. . . .

This is a problem with Excel. Your choices are manually changing the
links using the Edit Links menu command or using a Workbook Open
event handler macro to detect the workbook's own drive/directory,
deriving the previous year's directory location from it, and updating
the links to that folder.