Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count NonBlank Rows with Criteria in another column

I need to count the number of nonblank rows that have a certain
criteria in a different column. I assume that some version of the
SUMPRODUCT formula will do what I need to do, but I can't figure it
out for the life of me. Any ideas?

Say I have an array of data entered into cells K3:N35. I need to
count the number of rows that are nonblank in any of the cells in that
array that also have an "A" in column O. I think it should be
something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Data Sheet'!K3:N35<""),--('Data Sheet'!O3:O35="A"))

Your assistance is most appreciated.

Carmen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What error do you get?

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

wrote in message
I need to count the number of nonblank rows that have a certain
criteria in a different column. I assume that some version of the
SUMPRODUCT formula will do what I need to do, but I can't figure it
out for the life of me. Any ideas?

Say I have an array of data entered into cells K3:N35. I need to
count the number of rows that are nonblank in any of the cells in that
array that also have an "A" in column O. I think it should be
something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Data Sheet'!K3:N35<""),--('Data Sheet'!O3:O35="A"))

Your assistance is most appreciated.

Carmen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm assuming you want to count a row if there is at least one entry in that
row.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(--(K3:N35<""),{1;1;1;1})0),--(O3:O35="A"))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
I need to count the number of nonblank rows that have a certain
criteria in a different column. I assume that some version of the
SUMPRODUCT formula will do what I need to do, but I can't figure it
out for the life of me. Any ideas?

Say I have an array of data entered into cells K3:N35. I need to
count the number of rows that are nonblank in any of the cells in that
array that also have an "A" in column O. I think it should be
something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Data Sheet'!K3:N35<""),--('Data Sheet'!O3:O35="A"))

Your assistance is most appreciated.

Carmen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote in message

I need to count the number of nonblank rows that have a certain
criteria in a different column. *I assume that some version of the
SUMPRODUCT formula will do what I need to do, but I can't figure it
out for the life of me. Any ideas?

Say I have an array of data entered into cells K3:N35. *I need to
count the number of rows that are nonblank in any of the cells in that
array that also have an "A" in column O. *I think it should be
something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Data Sheet'!K3:N35<""),--('Data Sheet'!O3:O35="A"))

Your assistance is most appreciated.

Carmen- Hide quoted text -

Biff,

This does it! Thanks so much. You totally saved my project. 8-D

Carmen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

T. Valko wrote:
I'm assuming you want to count a row if there is at least one entry in that
row.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(--(K3:N35<""),{1;1;1;1})0),--(O3:O35="A"))

Nice solution Biff! And thanks for writing about MMULT... this was
unknown to me, and I suspect many others as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks!

--
Biff