trini

Default Organizing Data

I have a huge spreadsheet of data from questions on 5 different things. How
do I sort the data. I know there is a function like vlookup to help me do
this but i dont know what it is. My data looks like

A 1 2 3
A 4 5 6
B 1 2 2
A...... You see what I mean. I want to group all the A's,
B's etc together in a new sheet (so that i can do the average, standard
deviation etc) so I need excel to go from row to row, searching for all the
A's and for each A that it finds transfer all of the data in that row. How do
I do that?
Thank you
Otto Moehrbach

Maybe I don't see the problem you have, but you can sort all your data
(Data - Sort) on the first column. This will put all the As together, and
all the Bs together, and so on. Then you can copy and paste all the As, all
the Bs, etc.
If you have a reason for not doing it this way, or I missed your
problem, then you would have to use VBA (a macro) to do what you want. Post
back if sorting as above does not work for you. HTH Otto
"trini" wrote in message
I have a huge spreadsheet of data from questions on 5 different things. How
do I sort the data. I know there is a function like vlookup to help me do
this but i dont know what it is. My data looks like

A 1 2 3
A 4 5 6
B 1 2 2
A...... You see what I mean. I want to group all the A's,
B's etc together in a new sheet (so that i can do the average, standard
deviation etc) so I need excel to go from row to row, searching for all
the
A's and for each A that it finds transfer all of the data in that row. How
do
I do that?
Thank you

bj

one method is to select all and go to <data<Filter<autofilter)
a little double arrow appears in the top row in each column.
if you use the arrow in th efirst caloumn, you can select just the As. Copy
these and insert on a new page. Go back and select B etc.

There are actually many ways to do what you want to do. There are
advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

"trini" wrote:

I have a huge spreadsheet of data from questions on 5 different things. How
do I sort the data. I know there is a function like vlookup to help me do
this but i dont know what it is. My data looks like

A 1 2 3
A 4 5 6
B 1 2 2
A...... You see what I mean. I want to group all the A's,
B's etc together in a new sheet (so that i can do the average, standard
deviation etc) so I need excel to go from row to row, searching for all the
A's and for each A that it finds transfer all of the data in that row. How do
I do that?
Thank you

Max

Perhaps you might want to try something along the lines outlined in this
recent post: http://tinyurl.com/cw8jp

--
Rgds
Max
"trini" wrote in message
I have a huge spreadsheet of data from questions on 5 different things.

How
do I sort the data. I know there is a function like vlookup to help me do
this but i dont know what it is. My data looks like

A 1 2 3
A 4 5 6
B 1 2 2
A...... You see what I mean. I want to group all the A's,
B's etc together in a new sheet (so that i can do the average, standard
deviation etc) so I need excel to go from row to row, searching for all

the
A's and for each A that it finds transfer all of the data in that row. How

do
I do that?
Thank you

trini

Thank you all. Duh. This was helpful. I guess I didn't explain myself
correctly. The data actually looks like

A 1 2 3 B 2 3 2
B 2 3 4 E 1 1 1

etc. I have information in rows and columns. But with a little bit of
work(on my part) I will organize the infor into different sheets and then
sort. Thanks again.
Amanda