Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Refer to Another Spreadsheet in a Formula

How would I tell a formula to go to another spreadsheet and to take the sum
of a specified range?

DOUG
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Direct reference
=[Excelfile.xls]Sheet1!A1

Indirect reference
A1 = ExcelFile.xls
B1 = Sheet1
=INDIRECT("[" & A1 & "]" & B1 &"!" & "A1")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"DOUG" wrote:

How would I tell a formula to go to another spreadsheet and to take the sum
of a specified range?

DOUG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You precede the range with the sheet name and !, like so

=SUM(Sheet1!A1:A10)

or in single quotes if the shete name has spaces

=SUM('Some Sheet'!A1:A10)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"DOUG" wrote in message
How would I tell a formula to go to another spreadsheet and to take the
sum
of a specified range?

DOUG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

spreadsheet means?

Workbook
worksheet

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"DOUG" wrote in message
How would I tell a formula to go to another spreadsheet and to take the
sum
of a specified range?

DOUG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In the cell where you want the result, type;

=sum(

then press Ctrl-F6 to switch to the workbook containing the range to be
summed. Highlight the desired cells, and press Enter