Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I set my time and get rid of sample time using functions

I am trying to set up Excel to work out the length of time between two
events. When I set hh:mm in a cell all I get is Microsofts sample date coming
up. It will not accept my overwrite. Any suggestions how to get around this??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try

Select your cell/s
right click and choose Format Cells
under Number tab choose Time
select the format you want
click OK
go to the cell and type hh:mm eg 20:30

--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"NapierGye" wrote:

I am trying to set up Excel to work out the length of time between two
events. When I set hh:mm in a cell all I get is Microsofts sample date coming
up. It will not accept my overwrite. Any suggestions how to get around this??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I set my time and get rid of sample time using function

Thanks Francis,
I do all that but when I type in a value eg 2.30 I get 7.12 showing instead.
I think it is a Microsoft pre-set and I can't change it. Thanks for replying.

"NapierGye" wrote:

I am trying to set up Excel to work out the length of time between two
events. When I set hh:mm in a cell all I get is Microsofts sample date coming
up. It will not accept my overwrite. Any suggestions how to get around this??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

when I type in a value eg 2.30 I get 7.12

2.3 is not an Excel recognized time entry.

When you enter 2.3 in a cell formatted as h:mm Excel evaluates 2.3 as 2.3
*days*.

What does 2.3 represent? 2 hours 30 minutes?

If so, enter it like a regular time 2:30

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP