Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date Format

Hi all,
I have the column of date in general/text format as "20080402", how can i
change it into date format, is there any format to change directly?
Thanks a lot
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the column
Data|text to columns (xl2003 menus)
fixed width, but don't add any lines and remove all that excel guessed.
Choose date
YMD (or YDM if that sample was 2008-Feb-04)

And format the cell using the nice date format you like.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As your original data is in text format , pl use following formula.

=DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),RIGHT(A1,2))
--
HARSHAWARDHAN.S.SHASTRI

Pl do not forget to press "YES" button if post found useful.

"aozora" wrote:

Hi all,
I have the column of date in general/text format as "20080402", how can i
change it into date format, is there any format to change directly?
Thanks a lot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is a formula that is a little shorter and with 3 less function calls...

=--TEXT(A1,"0000-00-00")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)