Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert date from text format to date format

Sorry to ask this again but I've read the other posts and just can't get this
to work.

I've imported some data from our database system and the dates come across
in american format and the format is set to general in Excel. The dates look
like this...

5/23/2007

How can I change it to read 23/5/2007.

Many many thanks in advance - if I can get this to work I'll be so pleased!

Anita
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Anita
Mark the column with the date.
DataText to ColumnsnextNextselect Date and choose M/D/YFinish

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Anita" wrote in message
Sorry to ask this again but I've read the other posts and just can't
get this
to work.

I've imported some data from our database system and the dates come
across
in american format and the format is set to general in Excel. The
dates look
like this...

5/23/2007

How can I change it to read 23/5/2007.

Many many thanks in advance - if I can get this to work I'll be so
pleased!

Anita

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try:

Highlight Date column,

Data=Text to Columns=Next=Next=set Column data Format as Date and set to
MDY=Finish.

This worked for me (UK-Based)

HTH

"Anita" wrote:

Sorry to ask this again but I've read the other posts and just can't get this
to work.

I've imported some data from our database system and the dates come across
in american format and the format is set to general in Excel. The dates look
like this...

5/23/2007

How can I change it to read 23/5/2007.

Many many thanks in advance - if I can get this to work I'll be so pleased!

Anita

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You haven't told us what you've tried.

If the value is actually a date, then you should be able to format as
d/m/yyyy.

If you format it as a number, then you can see whether it changes to 39225;
if the format doesn't change, then it's stored as text, rather than a date.
In that case, data, text to columns, specify input format as date MDY, will
do the job.
--
David Biddulph