Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Validation List - adding new entries

I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added to
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a formula
or function?

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There's an example of a flexible data validation list at this website:
http://www.contextures.com/excelfilesRon.html

See this file: RDV0001 - Flexible Item List

Does that help?

Regards,

Ron Coderre
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I was just able to take a quick look at the web page. I think it may do the
trick (if I can figure out how to get it to work bewtween two worksheets). I
have a project meeting starting soon, will try later and get back to you.

Thanks,
Mike

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Go to the second sheet and select the entire column(or enough of that column
so you will never run out of rows) and name it, say MyList.

Now on the first sheet in the Data Valadation check List and in the Source
box enter =MyList OK.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Howard

That won't add new items to the list.

Debra Dalgleish has a couple of methods in these download sample workbooks.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0038

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0012

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks to both Howard and Gord, I am out of the office today but will
hopefully be in a position to try your recommendations. I will let you know
and this discussion group know if one or more suggestions resolved my issue.

Mike

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but have had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error or
where I've overlooked something in one of the formulas?

Much appreciated,
Mike

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm confused.........easily done<g

Can you send me the workbook to my email?

Change the AT and DOT in my posted email address.

Gord

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:33:00 -0700, watermt
wrote:

Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but have had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"? *")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this on your workbook:

Names in Workbook: Docs
Refers to:
=Data!$F$3:INDEX(Data!$F:$F,COUNTIF(Data!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(Data!$F:$F)+2,1)

Names in Workbook: ReferredBy
Refers to: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

Select the ReferredBy range (Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43)
Data.Validation
....Allow: list
....Source: Docs

On the Data sheet
F3: (the first value you want on the list)

The first ARRAY FORMULA (committed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):
F4: =IF(SUMPRODUCT((ReferredBy<"")*
ISERROR(MATCH(ReferredBy,$F$3:F3,0)))<0,
INDEX(ReferredBy,MATCH(TRUE,ISERROR(IF(ISBLANK(Ref erredBy),
FALSE,MATCH(ReferredBy,$F$3:$F3,0))),0),1),"")

Copy that formula into F5 and down as far as you think you'll need.

Now test the input range.

That should work...Does it?

Regards,

Ron Coderre
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"watermt" wrote in message
Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but have
had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my
list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not
find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I
can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically
added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron,
I follow your directions to the letter (I think!) but now when I enter a new
Doc name the #N/A error message shows up in the list instead of the new Docs
name.

I went to the help feature and they suggested since I am using an array
formula with the MATCH function that I make my rows equal for the Docs list
and the RefferedBy list, which I did. Still getting a #N/A error.

Mike

"watermt" wrote in message
Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but have
had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my
list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not
find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I
can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically
added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hmmm....I started with a blank workbook...
€¢ Named a sheet: Data
€¢ Named a sheet Feb_09
€¢ Followed the instructions from my prior post
€¢ The dropdowns display the first value
€¢ I entered a non-listed value
€¢ The DV dropdowns showed the new item in the list

Some other issue must be muddying the waters.
Please let us know what you find.

Regards,

Ron Coderre
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"watermt" wrote in message
Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but
have
had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my
list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my
user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error
or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names
of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not
find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that
can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that
automatically
added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron,
I decided to create a new blank workbook with just the two worksheets Feb_09
and DATA. I did this thinking that my other formulas and lists may be
interfering with this one, but I still get the #N/A error.

Is there an email address where I can send the workbook so that you may take
a look at what I might be doing wrong?

Mike

"watermt" wrote in message
Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but
have
had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my
list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my
user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error
or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names
of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not
find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that
can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that
automatically
added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:
http://freefilehosting.net/index.cfm

or any other free file hosting site:
http://cjoint.com/index.php
http://www.savefile.com/index.php
http://drop.io/

Then post the link so all interested parties can see what we're working
with.

Regards,

Ron Coderre
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"watermt" wrote in message
Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but
have
had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20;
my
list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20;
my
user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet
named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an
error
or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last
names
of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does
not
find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way
that
can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that
automatically
added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list
through
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The workbook has been posted online at the following site:

http://freefilehosting.net/download/46a5c

Thanks Ron. I hope someone can find my mistake.

Mike

"watermt" wrote in message
Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but
have
had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20;
my
list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20;
my
user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet
named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an
error
or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last
names
of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does
not
find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way
that
can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that
automatically
added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list
through
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The link opens a Word document with some commentary and the posted
instructions: 2609_DataValFlexList_Word document.doc. Where did you post the
Excel workbook?

Regards,

Ron Coderre
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"watermt" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an
error
or

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried to post the workbokk online last night but had two files in the
workbbok. One for the instructions and the other the actual workbook. I
posted the instructions instead by mistake.

Ron Coderre was working on this with me too. I don't have access to re-post
here at work, so I will email the workbook to you as requested.

Thanks to you and Ron for being so patient in dealing with my shortcomings,
Mike

wrote:

Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but have had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"? *")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that I can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that automatically added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through a
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron

The workbook was sent to me.

Only problem I could find was the formulas in Data!F4:F43 were not
array-entered with CSE.

Hence the #N/A error.

Sent a revised working edition back to Mike.

Gord

"watermt" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an
error
or

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks much, Gord...That's what I suspected.

Best Regards,

Ron Coderre
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"watermt" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made
an
error
or

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron,
I finally got this figured out with the assistance of you and Gord. I
really appreciate your time Ron (and Gords). Apparently I was not enabling
the CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER command at the "right time". I was doing it before
typing in the code instead of after I had already typed the code.

You guys are fantastic and I am so glad that I found the Discussion Forum.
It's certainly educating me, and opening up a great number of more uses for
Excel in my daily work. Besides, I get to communicate with a lot of great
people!

Thanks fellas,
Mike

"watermt" wrote in message
Gord,
I've tried to get the DataValFlexList.xls sample to work for me but
have
had
no luck. In the sample it refers to column B as List Items B2:B20; my
list
items (named Docs) to update is on a seperate worksheet named DATA.

Also in the sample it refers to column D as the User Input D2:D20; my
user
input (named Referred BY) to select and enter in on the worksheet named
Feb_09.

My range definitions are as follows:

Docs:
=DATA!$F$3:INDEX(DATA!$F:$F,COUNTIF(DATA!$F:$F,"?* ")+COUNT(DATA!$F:$F),1)

Referred BY: =Feb_09!$H$10:$H$43

From what I've offered here, can you tell me where I've made an error
or

"watermt" wrote in message
I have a Validation list (=PhysiciansLN) that lists the last names
of
physicians in our hospital. If a user of this Excel file does not
find
the
physicians last name in the =PhysiciansLN list is there a way that
can
allow the user to type the new last name and have that
automatically
added
the =PhysiciansLN list?

I was hoping to be able to add new last names to that list through
formula
or function?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're very welcome. Glad we could help!

Regards,

Ron Coderre
Microsoft MVP (Excel)