Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Expanding Grouped Rows when sheet is Protected

I have worksheet which has many rows which I have grouped. I have protected
the worksheet to allow users to only input data into particular cells.

I would like to give the users the capability to Expand/Collapse the grouped
rows, but I cannot find a way to do this - basically, if the worksheet is
protected then the Grouping buttons do not work.

Using Excel 2007

Any suggestions please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

When a spreadsheet is protected you can't expand or collapse the groups.

You have at least two solutions 1. Use a pivot table to do your gropuing,
you can tell excel to allow the use of pivot tables when a sheet is
protected. 2. You can write VBA code to allow gives the user this control.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"SimonB" wrote:

I have worksheet which has many rows which I have grouped. I have protected
the worksheet to allow users to only input data into particular cells.

I would like to give the users the capability to Expand/Collapse the grouped
rows, but I cannot find a way to do this - basically, if the worksheet is
protected then the Grouping buttons do not work.

Using Excel 2007

Any suggestions please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shane,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions/deductions.

In the short term I have indeed added some VBA to a toggle button to
Expand/Collapse the Groupings, but at this time it is an all-or-nothing
solution i.e. I simply set the Showlevel to either 1 [collapsed] or 3
[expanded, to three levels in my case].....

....better "all" than "nothing" though ;-)

Not sure it's worth spending time digging too much deeper for a
"nice-to-have" feature.
May be worth considering as a future enhancement for Excel though .... it
certainly has its uses.

S.