Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default EXCEL 1997 FORMULA QUESTION

I have excel 1997 and I have been trying to keep track of some data. I
understand how to use a formula to add numbers, but I want to add symbols (to
be exact, commas) not numbers.

--
JENN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Something like this:
=a1&","&a2

If that's not what you're looking for, be more specific about what you want
to do.

Regards,
Fred
"JENN" wrote in message
I have excel 1997 and I have been trying to keep track of some data. I
understand how to use a formula to add numbers, but I want to add symbols
be exact, commas) not numbers.

--
JENN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am trying to keep track of objects of various colors. Lets say that the
color white is represented by the number 51 and I have 3 items in the color
white. I want the cell to read "51,,,". I also want the number 36 to
represent the color black, which I have 6 of (E.G. "36,,,,,,"). Then I want
this data to be used on another worksheet and show 3 for white and 6 for
black.
--
JENN

"Sheeloo" wrote:

How do you add commas?

Can you give an example?

"JENN" wrote:

I have excel 1997 and I have been trying to keep track of some data. I
understand how to use a formula to add numbers, but I want to add symbols (to
be exact, commas) not numbers.

--
JENN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Where is the color number? Where are the number of items for the color?

If it helps, with color number (36) in A1 and the count (3) in A2, the
following will produce "36,,,":
=a1&rept(",",a2)

Regards,
Fred.

"JENN" wrote in message
I have excel 1997 and I have been trying to keep track of some data. I
understand how to use a formula to add numbers, but I want to add
symbols
be exact, commas) not numbers.

--
JENN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I really appreciate your time, but it still does not solve my problem because
I wanted all the colors in the same cell. I will just have to break them up
into separate cells. Thank you.
--
JENN

"JENN" wrote in message
I have excel 1997 and I have been trying to keep track of some data. I
understand how to use a formula to add numbers, but I want to add
symbols
be exact, commas) not numbers.

--
JENN

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What do you mean my "all the colors in the same cell"? How are they
formatted.

Excel we're good at. Mindreading is still a work in progress. Is there a
reason you can't describe how your data is laid out?

Regards,
Fred