Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default same range names in different worksheets

How do I name a range the same thing in multiple worksheets so I can
reference the named range in each of the worksheets in a totally different
worksheet. For example I have a range named as "sales" in worksheet 1, but
I can't name it the same thing in worksheet 2 otherwise is seems to overwrite
the first one. Then I can only reference the one named range in my third
worksheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can do this is Excel 2007 by selecting the scope of the name as
worksheet or workbook.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"tabell88" wrote in message
How do I name a range the same thing in multiple worksheets so I can
reference the named range in each of the worksheets in a totally different
worksheet. For example I have a range named as "sales" in worksheet 1,
but
I can't name it the same thing in worksheet 2 otherwise is seems to
overwrite
the first one. Then I can only reference the one named range in my third
worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In the Insert|Name dialog, you can prefix the name with the worksheet that owns
it.

'Worksheet 2'!sales

Or you can type that name into the name box (change the name accordingly) when
you have the range selected.

Be sure to hit enter after you've typed the name in the namebox, too!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ps.

I'd get a copy of Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It'll make working with names much easier. And one of its many features allows
you to localize or globalize names.

tabell88 wrote:

How do I name a range the same thing in multiple worksheets so I can
reference the named range in each of the worksheets in a totally different
worksheet. For example I have a range named as "sales" in worksheet 1, but
I can't name it the same thing in worksheet 2 otherwise is seems to overwrite
the first one. Then I can only reference the one named range in my third
worksheet.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It is certainly ok to use non unique names in a workbook, but it is probably
easier in the long run to try to utilize a system of unique names. For
example SalesX and SalesY or AcctSales, AddSales.

By doing this it make it easier to use them in the spreadsheet and implicit
in the name is both the fact that the data is sales data, and that the sheet
is Acct for example.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire