Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Making User defined functions available in all new workbooks

Hi Guys,

I have a few basic user defined functions I've made up so that I can easily
calculate and also avoids common errors I've made.

Can I set up a template, or something similar, that will automatically load
the user defined functions into all future new workbooks I open?

Cheers,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Save them in an add-in:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/AutomationAddIns.aspx

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200835

"Alco Engineer" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have a few basic user defined functions I've made up so that I can easily
calculate and also avoids common errors I've made.

Can I set up a template, or something similar, that will automatically load
the user defined functions into all future new workbooks I open?

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You'll have to excuse my ignorance.

I've tried following the instructions that you linked to, however I can't
open VB on it's own, I only open up excel and then view code and make my
changes that way.

Is there a way to do this using the excel VB? I can't seem to save anything
as a DLL file which means I can't seem to get it to save as an add-in.

Cheers,

"Alco Engineer" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have a few basic user defined functions I've made up so that I can easily
calculate and also avoids common errors I've made.

Can I set up a template, or something similar, that will automatically load
the user defined functions into all future new workbooks I open?

Cheers,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You should be able to save the workbook as an add-in.
With a new workbook, place the Function in a module, the save the
workbook as an Add-in. F12=name the Workbook=select file type as Add-
in.
Close excel and open excel, go to tools,add-ins, and find your new add-
in,if you do not see it hit the browse button, and find it wherever
you saved it.

You can also place the code in your Personal Macro Workbook, this will
make the code available to all workbooks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Here is what you can do easily in Excel - you can create a basic Excel
add-in and then attach it. Its functions will be available whenever it is
attached. So if you want to distribute your files that are using the add-in
you need to provide the user with a copy of the add-in and attach it on their
machines.

1. Put all your function in a single workbook.
2. (Optional) in Excel choose Window, Hide.
3. Choose File, Save As, and under the Files of Type choose Microsoft
Office Excel Add-In (*.xla) near or at the bottom of the list.
4. Note the add-ins location or change the location to anywhere you want
and click Save.
5. Exit Excel and restart it (this is quicker that the alternative)
6. Choose Tools, Add-Ins, and click Browse and navigate to the location
where you saved your xla. Choose it and click OK.
7. In the Add-ins dialog box make sure your add-in is checked and click OK.

You functions will be available to all of your spreadsheets opened on this
computer.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire