Christopher in Bellefontaine

Default Auto-Enter Value Based on Table (EXCEL 2002)

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am trying to do something that seems like it should be very simple, but I
cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get it to work.

I want to create a basic table in Excel, Column A being Supplier Number and
Column B being the Supplier Name.

On a seperate worksheet, I need to enter BOTH items of information in a
simple form I created. I am trying to set it up so that once I enter the
Supplier Number in one box, then the Supplier Name will automatically be
entered in the appropriate box based on the simple table of Supplier Number
and Supplier Name.

I have tried many, many sources to try to find the answer to this problem,
but have had no luck at all yet. Can someone please assist me with this
problem, or am I thinking it should be simpler than it actually is?

Oh, one more note, I don't want to use Access to design this form for work
reasons. I need to have this work in Excel, so advice on how to do this
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Very Much,

Christopher
Duke Carey

use the VLOOKUP function in the Supplier Name cell. If you are going to type
the number in cell A1, put this formula in B1

=VLOOKUP(A1, range for table on other sheet, 2, false)

The false at the end indicates you want Excel to generate a formula error if
the number doesn't match anything in the table

"Christopher in Bellefontaine" wrote:

[...]

Okay, Duke, thanks for that information. But that brings up another
question. Do I have to have the formula entered into the adjacent cell (you
stated that if the number were to be entered in A1 then enter the formula in
B1...my form isn't set up in this manner to be practical...)

Additionally, I don't know the additional formula text required to reference
the column of data I need the formula to compare and return the value in.

More specifically, here is how I have it set up.

"Worksheet 1"

Column A
Supplier Number
Column B
Supplier Name

"Worksheet 2"

Control # # of Pics Route Damage Source

Supplier # Case # Quick Receive # ASN #

Supplier Damage Observed

Loader TNT Unloader IPS Time
Notes _________________________________
Control # # of Pics Route # Damage Source

Supplier # Case # Quick Receive # ASN #

Supplier Damage Observed

Loader TNT Unloader IPS Time

Notes

So as you can see, Supplier Name and Supplier Number are not adjacent cells
on Worksheet 2.

Can you provide further assistance on this?

Thanks again for your first reply, and I hope you will be just as willing to
help me further with this.

-Christopher