Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default making numerical date return mmmm format

I have one cell formatted as a number and I am trying to get it to
format to a different cell as mmmm and I need it to update everytime I
change the numerical cell.

Example:

A1 has 1 as number
A10 is referring to A1 with custom format of mmmm which returns
January.

My problem is that when I change A1 to 2 A10 does not update to show
February.

Please help... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put this formula in A10:

=DATE(2009,A1,1)

then it should follow changes to A1.

I assume at the moment that you have:

=A1

in A10 - this is assumed (by Excel) to represent 1st Jan 1900, and so
if you change A1 to 2 then this would be 2nd Jan 1900, so your month
has not changed.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 9, 5:01*pm, wrote:
I have one cell formatted as a number and I am trying to get it to
format to a different cell as mmmm and I need it to update everytime I
change the numerical cell.

Example:

A1 has 1 as number
A10 is referring to A1 with custom format of mmmm which returns
January.

My problem is that when I change A1 to 2 A10 does not update to show
February.

Please help... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
AMG AMG is offline

On Feb 9, 5:01*pm, wrote:

I have one cell formatted as a number and I am trying to get it to
format to a different cell as mmmm and I need it to update everytime I
change the numerical cell.

Example:

A1 has 1 as number
A10 is referring to A1 with custom format of mmmm which returns
January.

My problem is that when I change A1 to 2 A10 does not update to show
February.

Please help... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a ton, that works perfectly!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You've got a solution, but no one explained why your approach didn't work:

Excel stores dates as numbers starting with January 1, 1900 being day 1.
Each successive day is one number higher. So you got lucky with 1, but 2 is
January 2, 1900, so you didn't get February.

Here is another solution:

=--(A1&"-1")

Put this formula in A10 and format the cell to MMMM.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

" wrote:

I have one cell formatted as a number and I am trying to get it to
format to a different cell as mmmm and I need it to update everytime I
change the numerical cell.

Example:

A1 has 1 as number
A10 is referring to A1 with custom format of mmmm which returns
January.

My problem is that when I change A1 to 2 A10 does not update to show
February.

Please help... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, Angela - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

Thanks a ton, that works perfectly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Another possibility, which does not require the cell to be formatted, would
be...

=TEXT(28*A1,"mmmm")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Shane Devenshire" wrote in
message ...

" wrote:

I have one cell formatted as a number and I am trying to get it to
format to a different cell as mmmm and I need it to update everytime I
change the numerical cell.

Example:

A1 has 1 as number
A10 is referring to A1 with custom format of mmmm which returns
January.

My problem is that when I change A1 to 2 A10 does not update to show
February.

Please help... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shane,

I thought I explained what was happening to the OP.

Anyway, your proposed solution doesn't work in the UK as we enter days
first and the "-" symbol is not normally used in dates.

Pete