Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default dividng numbers using the sumif function

I need help in setting up a simple formula. I have 2 worksheet tabs -my
formula
is =Sumif(B3:B12)/Products(B4:b16) - in others I want to add numbers in
cells B3:B12 (tab 1) and divide the total by numbers in 2nd worksheet tab
B4:B16 using the sumif function since all cells already have formulas in
them. This is probably simple, but I don't grasp formulas very well, too
new. thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I'm not quite sure what you mean, do either of these give the answer you want

=SUM(B3:B12)/SUM(Products!B4:B16)

or

=SUM(B3:B12)/COUNT(Products!B4:B16)

Mike

"tiare1021" wrote:

I need help in setting up a simple formula. I have 2 worksheet tabs -my
formula
is =Sumif(B3:B12)/Products(B4:b16) - in others I want to add numbers in
cells B3:B12 (tab 1) and divide the total by numbers in 2nd worksheet tab
B4:B16 using the sumif function since all cells already have formulas in
them. This is probably simple, but I don't grasp formulas very well, too
new. thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mike, I responded earlier, but don't see my reply. Anyway, I tried your
formula's and they didn't work, because I need to use the function 'SumIf'
with both sets of numbers like: -=sumif Products B3:B5 divided by sumif
Products B10:B15. The sum feature doesn't work because all of the cells are
filled with formulas linking to other workbooks. Make sense?

"tiare1021" wrote:

I need help in setting up a simple formula. I have 2 worksheet tabs -my
formula
is =Sumif(B3:B12)/Products(B4:b16) - in others I want to add numbers in
cells B3:B12 (tab 1) and divide the total by numbers in 2nd worksheet tab
B4:B16 using the sumif function since all cells already have formulas in
them. This is probably simple, but I don't grasp formulas very well, too
new. thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make sense?

I'm afraid it doesn't no. Sumif sums a range based on some criteria and you
haven't told us the criteria for summing either range

for example

=SUMIF(B3:B12,"4")

sums numbers in the range larger than 4

Mike

"tiare1021" wrote:

I need help in setting up a simple formula. I have 2 worksheet tabs -my
formula
is =Sumif(B3:B12)/Products(B4:b16) - in others I want to add numbers in
cells B3:B12 (tab 1) and divide the total by numbers in 2nd worksheet tab
B4:B16 using the sumif function since all cells already have formulas in
them. This is probably simple, but I don't grasp formulas very well, too
new. thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If this is homework then you haven't listened to the problem because sumif
is the wrong formula to accomplish what you want but if you must

=SUMIF(B3:B12,"<9999999999")/SUMIF(Products!B4:B16,"<999999999")

Mike

"tiare1021" wrote:

I need help in setting up a simple formula. I have 2 worksheet tabs -my
formula
is =Sumif(B3:B12)/Products(B4:b16) - in others I want to add numbers in
cells B3:B12 (tab 1) and divide the total by numbers in 2nd worksheet tab
B4:B16 using the sumif function since all cells already have formulas in
them. This is probably simple, but I don't grasp formulas very well, too
new. thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you very much Mike. Your formula below worked. I am too old for
school but not too old to learn. Thank you for your patience. I forgot one
key step and that was to put in "o" for the criteria. My apology for the
trouble. Thanks alot