Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Fill down without formatting macro

Is there a way to design a macro that can perform the 'fill down without
formatting' procedure for cells that I highlight? I've tried to write it but
it busts if I select a different number of cells that I used when I recorded
it. Thanks for the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mike,

Post your code - 'fill down' can mean a lot of - well, a few, at least - different things.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Mike" wrote in message
Is there a way to design a macro that can perform the 'fill down without
formatting' procedure for cells that I highlight? I've tried to write it but
it busts if I select a different number of cells that I used when I recorded
it. Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Turn on the macro recorder and record the steps - Tools, Macro, Record New
Macro.

When you finish the fill down, open the Paste Option icon, usually near the
bottom right of the filled range and choose Fill Without Formatting.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Mike" wrote:

Is there a way to design a macro that can perform the 'fill down without
formatting' procedure for cells that I highlight? I've tried to write it but
it busts if I select a different number of cells that I used when I recorded
it. Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why do you need a macro? Why not just get Excel to do it. Right drag the
fill handle, on release choose Fill Formatting Only.

If you really need a macro, simply record this step.

Regards,
Fred.

"Mike" wrote in message
Is there a way to design a macro that can perform the 'fill down without
formatting' procedure for cells that I highlight? I've tried to write it
but
it busts if I select a different number of cells that I used when I
recorded
it. Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually, try this, after selecting the cell to copy, and the area that you want to fill in:

Sub FillDownSelection()
Selection(1).AutoFill Destination:=Selection, Type:=xlFillValues
End Sub

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Mike" wrote in message
Is there a way to design a macro that can perform the 'fill down without
formatting' procedure for cells that I highlight? I've tried to write it but
it busts if I select a different number of cells that I used when I recorded
it. Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is exactly what I want to do, but I'd like to record the macro to a
shortcut key that will "Fill Without Formatting" whatever cells I have
selected when I press the shortcut key. The problem is that when I try to
run the macro it fills the same number of cells that I selected when
recording it. I would like this to be dynamic.

Does this make sense?

"Mike" wrote:

Is there a way to design a macro that can perform the 'fill down without
formatting' procedure for cells that I highlight? I've tried to write it but
it busts if I select a different number of cells that I used when I recorded
it. Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. It even fills right. Thanks!

Great. And you're welcome, and thanks for letting me know that you got it to work.

Bernie