Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rk Rk is offline

Default Function Arguments dialog vanishes when clicked an inserted shape

"I inserted a new shape in the Excel 2007 worksheet and opened the Insert
Function
dialog and selected a function. Now if I click that shape instead of a cell
(to record cell address), the dialog just vanishes."

"When I tried the same in Excel 2003, the dialog remained there even after
clicking the shape."

Is it by design? (or) Is this the default behavior of 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

In my copy of Excel 2007 if I am in the Function Arguments dialog box and
click a shape I get an error message. In 2003 I can't click on the shape
from the Function Arguments dialog box either. You need to give us a lot
more complete description of what you are trying to do and what is happening.

Also, if you are trying to click a shape to enter a cell address it won't
work even in 2003. Why not just type the cell address?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"RK" wrote:

"I inserted a new shape in the Excel 2007 worksheet and opened the Insert
Function
dialog and selected a function. Now if I click that shape instead of a cell
(to record cell address), the dialog just vanishes."

"When I tried the same in Excel 2003, the dialog remained there even after
clicking the shape."

Is it by design? (or) Is this the default behavior of 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rk Rk is offline

Default Function Arguments dialog vanishes when clicked an inserted sh

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Excel2003 won't let users to record cell address when clicked a shape but,
'Function Arguments' dialog won't close. However, it lets me to record cell
address if I click in the blank portion of a cell that contains a
shape/picture, this was also observed in Excel2007.

I'm seeing 'The formula you typed contains an error.' message when clicked a
shape/picture inserted in Excel2007.

BTW, I have a macro inserted (Object.VBAEventHandler
CallbackEventType.Shape), not sure if this has something to do.

I have multiple objects inserted as shapes/pictures in Excel2007/2003. I use
'Insert Function' very frequently. It would be handy to record cell address
by mouse-click rather than typing especially, when there are multiple
objects/shapes in many rows.

Regards,
RK