Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I obtain the average of the middle quartile of an array?

I have a list of numbers and I want to discard the first and last quartile,
and then obtain an average of whats left.

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try the following array formula:

=AVERAGE(IF((A1:A8QUARTILE(A1:A8,1))*(A1:A8<QUART ILE(A1:A8,3)),A1:A8,""))

Press Shift+Ctrl+Enter to enter it. You my change the to = but I leave
that up to you.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"nick" wrote:

I have a list of numbers and I want to discard the first and last quartile,
and then obtain an average of whats left.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try

=QUARTILE(A1:A8,2)

Mike

"nick" wrote:

I have a list of numbers and I want to discard the first and last quartile,
and then obtain an average of whats left.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

nick -

=TRIMMEAN(data_range,0.5)

- Mike Middleton
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"nick" wrote in message
I have a list of numbers and I want to discard the first and last quartile,
and then obtain an average of whats left.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I obtain the average of the middle quartile of an arra

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately none of them give me the correct
answer.

To be more precise, I need Excel to calculate the Interquartile Mean
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interquartile_mean) from an array which is
randomly ordered.

Any further help would really be appreciated!

Thanks again,

Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, just found that this does in fact work!

Thanks!

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

nick -

=TRIMMEAN(data_range,0.5)