Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I obtain the average age of our members?

I created a spreadsheet with 2 different fields.
Birth Year Mbrs
1918 4
1919 5
1920 4
1921 6
1922 11
As we have 4 members born in 1918 and 5 mbrs in 1919 etc.
Thank you
--
Roger
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would create another column somewhere to the side that multiplies the year
times the number of members born that year (i.e. =1918*4) to get a total
number (1918*4=7672). Total that column and divide by the number of members.
You can hide that new column once you've finished the formulas.

There might be an easier way, but that's the best way I know how to do it.

Hope this helps.

"Roger" wrote:

I created a spreadsheet with 2 different fields.
Birth Year Mbrs
1918 4
1919 5
1920 4
1921 6
1922 11
As we have 4 members born in 1918 and 5 mbrs in 1919 etc.
Thank you
--
Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's a better example just in case:

A B C D
Birth Members Total Average
Year
1 1918 4 =A1*B1 (7672) =SUM(C1:C2)/SUM(B1:B2)
2 1919 5 =A2*B2 (9595)

The average for these two lines would be 1918.555.

"Roger" wrote:

I created a spreadsheet with 2 different fields.
Birth Year Mbrs
1918 4
1919 5
1920 4
1921 6
1922 11
As we have 4 members born in 1918 and 5 mbrs in 1919 etc.
Thank you
--
Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not sure how you want to calculate the average age but this will give you an
average birth year:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A5,B1:B5)/SUM(B1:B5)

Based on your sample data the average birth year is 1920.5

Now you get to decide how to round that off. Up or down?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP