Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
sid sid is offline

Default I need to convert foot pounds of energy to joules and vice versa

I know the ratio is 1 flb to 1.355817948 joules but the convert functino
returns 23.73042222. I can do it by hand but my concern is that without
understanding why Excel is giving a different answer I will be unable to
defend my answer.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sid wrote:
I know the ratio is 1 flb to 1.355817948 joules but the convert functino
returns 23.73042222. I can do it by hand but my concern is that without
understanding why Excel is giving a different answer I will be unable to
defend my answer.

See if this explains anything for you:

http://tinyurl.com/d7ma3d
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The 'flb' unit refers to a Foot-Poundal not a Foot-Pound.
I don't know if this is an error on the part of the Analysis Toolpak or not.
Seems to be. WOW!!!
Bottom Line, don't use the Analysis Toolpak CONVERT function if trying to
convert between foot-pounds and joules.
--
Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Sid" wrote:

I know the ratio is 1 flb to 1.355817948 joules but the convert functino
returns 23.73042222. I can do it by hand but my concern is that without
understanding why Excel is giving a different answer I will be unable to
defend my answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have two types of "foot pounds"

foot-poundal..........................

a basic unit of energy or work in the FPS system(which uses the foot, pound
and second as base units), equal to the amount of work done by a force of
one poundal acting through a distance of one foot (0.0421 joule)

foot-pound..............................

A unit of work in the SI system, equal to the work done by a force of one
pound acting through a distance of one foot in the direction of the
force(1.355817948 joule)
..

Excel for some reason uses the foot-poundal unit conversion which gives you
the 23.73042

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:41:01 -0800, Sid
wrote:

I know the ratio is 1 flb to 1.355817948 joules but the convert functino
returns 23.73042222. I can do it by hand but my concern is that without
understanding why Excel is giving a different answer I will be unable to
defend my answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with the CONVERT function

flb stands for what we call Poundal-foot

whereas the ration you a quoting is pound force-foot to joules.

The real problem with CONVERT is that it doesn't support a lot of choices.
You can down load a free Convert program from:

http://joshmadison.com/article/convert-for-windows

but this is not an Excel Add-in, but its a stand alone package.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Sid" wrote:

I know the ratio is 1 flb to 1.355817948 joules but the convert functino
returns 23.73042222. I can do it by hand but my concern is that without
understanding why Excel is giving a different answer I will be unable to
defend my answer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shane

I have the Convert application you pointed to on my Tools Menu with a macro
assigned.

Been there for years............love it!

Sub Convert_units()
On Error Resume Next
Shell ("C:\Utilities\Convert\Converter.exe"), vbNormalFocus
If Err < 0 Then _
MsgBox "Converter.exe is Missing"
End Sub

Gord

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:32:07 -0800, Shane Devenshire
wrote:

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with the CONVERT function

flb stands for what we call Poundal-foot

whereas the ration you a quoting is pound force-foot to joules.

The real problem with CONVERT is that it doesn't support a lot of choices.
You can down load a free Convert program from:

http://joshmadison.com/article/convert-for-windows

but this is not an Excel Add-in, but its a stand alone package.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I need to convert foot pounds of energy to joules and vice ver

Yes, its a great little app.

I've written a larger and more complex Excel add-in but have never quite
completed it, maybe someday....

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire