Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default I need to convert foot pounds of energy to joules and vice versa

You have two types of "foot pounds"

foot-poundal..........................

a basic unit of energy or work in the FPS system(which uses the foot, pound
and second as base units), equal to the amount of work done by a force of
one poundal acting through a distance of one foot (0.0421 joule)

foot-pound..............................

A unit of work in the SI system, equal to the work done by a force of one
pound acting through a distance of one foot in the direction of the
force(1.355817948 joule)
..

Excel for some reason uses the foot-poundal unit conversion which gives you
the 23.73042

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:41:01 -0800, Sid
wrote:

I know the ratio is 1 flb to 1.355817948 joules but the convert functino
returns 23.73042222. I can do it by hand but my concern is that without
understanding why Excel is giving a different answer I will be unable to
defend my answer.