Member

Default COUNTIF for multiple sheets

Hey all,

I've got a "Master" sheet and an "Archive" sheet. I'm needing to count how many times I use a title from the "Master" sheet. In other words, I select any number of titles and then archive that list in the "Archive" sheet. So I need a formula to count how many times the title from the "Master" sheet is shown on the "Archive" sheet.

I've tried: =COUNTIF(ARCHIVE!B:B,Master!B2) but that returns a 0.

Thanks for your help,

Keyrookie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

.. tried: =COUNTIF(ARCHIVE!B:B,Master!B2) but that returns a 0

Nothing wrong with your formula,
so its probably a data consistency or extra white space(s) issue

You could try cleaning up both source lists using TRIM,
or as-is, use TRIM in SUMPRODUCT
(as COUNTIF doesn't allow TRIM):
=SUMPRODUCT(--(TRIM(archive!B1:B100)=TRIM(master!B2)))
--
Max
Singapore
Member

Thanks Max,

You were right, there was nothing wrong with my formula, just something odd in Excel. All the amounts returned down the list were correct, just B2 was returning a 0. I retyped the title in B2 and that corrected the problem. I like the formula you suggested though. I used it in another app. so I appreciate the help even though I wasn't asking about that project.

Keyrookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
.. tried: =COUNTIF(ARCHIVE!B:B,Master!B2) but that returns a 0

Nothing wrong with your formula,
so its probably a data consistency or extra white space(s) issue

You could try cleaning up both source lists using TRIM,
or as-is, use TRIM in SUMPRODUCT
(as COUNTIF doesn't allow TRIM):
=SUMPRODUCT(--(TRIM(archive!B1:B100)=TRIM(master!B2)))
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:22,500 Files:370 Subscribers:66
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

No prob, glad you resolved your original issue,
and found good use for the alternative as well.