Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting a Column

Hi,
I have tried using autosum to count the number of claims I have in 1 column
and it says 0 even when I have 55 claims in the column.
I have even tried entering =COUNT(A4:A55) and it still doesn't work.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Are you sure these are really numbers in column A and not text that looks
like numbers. Try this in another columns and drag down for numbers it should
evaluate as TRUE

=isnumber(A4)

If you get FALSE put a 1 in a cell and copy it. Select your 'numbers' in
column A and then

Edit|Paste Special and slect Multiply.
OK

Now try your formula again.

Mike

"Jamakinmecrazy" wrote:

Hi,
I have tried using autosum to count the number of claims I have in 1 column
and it says 0 even when I have 55 claims in the column.
I have even tried entering =COUNT(A4:A55) and it still doesn't work.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 05:35:00 -0800, Jamakinmecrazy
wrote:

Hi,
I have tried using autosum to count the number of claims I have in 1 column
and it says 0 even when I have 55 claims in the column.
I have even tried entering =COUNT(A4:A55) and it still doesn't work.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Your claims are probably formatted as text.
Try the COUNTA function.
=COUNTA(A4:A55)

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTA(A4:A55)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200823

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

COUNT counts the number of numbers in a range
COUNTA counts the number of non-empty cells in a range

You can also use COUNTIF or COUNTIFS (if you are using 2007)
=COUNTIF(A4:A55,"<")

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Jamakinmecrazy" wrote:

Hi,
I have tried using autosum to count the number of claims I have in 1 column
and it says 0 even when I have 55 claims in the column.
I have even tried entering =COUNT(A4:A55) and it still doesn't work.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi excelent,

I don't believe that will work. What it does is count numbers plus blanks
spaces.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"excelent" wrote:

try
{=COUNT(--(A4:A55))}

"Jamakinmecrazy" skrev:

Hi,
I have tried using autosum to count the number of claims I have in 1 column
and it says 0 even when I have 55 claims in the column.
I have even tried entering =COUNT(A4:A55) and it still doesn't work.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I also forgot to ask how do you get 55 claims on rows A4:A55, that is only
52 rows? What else is going on that we need to know about?

By the way if every row has a claim then you could use

=ROWS(A4:A55)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire