Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Eliminating blank cells

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be gone.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Select the range of data then

Edit|Goto - Special
select blanks
OK

Right click one of the selected cells and click
delete
select - "Shift cells left"
OK

Mike

"PointerMan" wrote:

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Select the range, then press F5 Special Check "Blanks" OK
Right-click on the selection Delete Check "Shift Cells Left" OK
--
Max
Singapore
"PointerMan" wrote:
How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This isn't working for me. Nothing happens when I select "blanks" and hit
"OK". After that I right click on a cell and delete and shift cells left,
and it only shifts that row left by one cell. What am I missing?

"PointerMan" wrote:

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the range then...........

F5SpecialBlanksOK

EditDeleteShift cells left

What do the letters A though D in Column A represent?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:33:33 -0800, PointerMan
wrote:

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you sure that you'd selected the range of cells before you did the
" Edit|Goto - Special
select blanks
OK" ?

Are you sure that you've actually got blank cells, and that they don't, for
example, have spaces in them?
--
David Biddulph

"PointerMan" wrote:

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be
gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Although you can't see anything in them, have you tried =ISBLANK(B1) if you
think B1 is blank?
A zero length text string, such as from the formula ="", still doesn't show
as blank so wouldn't be selected by the
Edit|Goto - Special
select blanks
OK

operations.
--

"PointerMan" wrote:

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that
everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be
gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Could be the cells have a space or two in them and are not blank.

Check with a helper cell =LEN(cellref)

Gord

"PointerMan" wrote:

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be
gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And even if there is no space, a zero length string ="" would not be found
by Goto/ Special/ Blanks,
so ISBLANK may be a safer check.
--
David Biddulph

"PointerMan" wrote:

How do I eliminate the blank cells in my worksheet so that
everything
essentially shifts to the left until the empty cells are gone?

I want this: To look like this:
A _ 5 1 _ 3 1 _ A 5 1 3 1
B 9 _ _ 1 2 1 9 B 9 1 2 1 9
C 3 1 2 _ _ 2 8 C 3 1 2 2 8
D _ _ 6 1 3 _ 2 D 6 1 3 2
* The _ represents the empty cells

Each value would still be in it's own cell, and the blanks would be
gone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

I use this sub (by Jay) to clear cells with residual zero length null
strings: "" within a selected range

Just select the range, run the sub
Then perform the earlier steps given in our responses
(Try it out on a spare copy)

Sub ClearNulls()
Set rng = Selection
For Each ar In Selection.Areas