Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF/THEN Formula

Hi!

I am trying to set up a formula that looks in a cell for one of four specific
numbers, then based on the number in the cell, it will input a value from
another cell. I think my problem is that I'm trying to get it to input the
product of a formula, but I don't know how to get around that.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Whether a cell has a number or is the result of a formula is immaterial. It
looks the same to Excel. Also, showing us what you tried will always result
in better advice, as we have a better idea of what you are trying to do.

As a guess, see if this helps:
=if(or(a1=1,a1=2,a1=3,a1=4),a2,"none of the values found")

Regards,
Fred.

"kwoodward" <u48242@uwe wrote in message news:8ecc99eececc8@uwe...
Hi!

I am trying to set up a formula that looks in a cell for one of four
specific
numbers, then based on the number in the cell, it will input a value from
another cell. I think my problem is that I'm trying to get it to input
the
product of a formula, but I don't know how to get around that.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like your doing a LOOKUP, or CHOOSE.

As Fred said, if you post more about what you are trying to do, we can be
more helpful.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"kwoodward" wrote:

Hi!

I am trying to set up a formula that looks in a cell for one of four specific
numbers, then based on the number in the cell, it will input a value from
another cell. I think my problem is that I'm trying to get it to input the
product of a formula, but I don't know how to get around that.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fred Smith wrote:
Whether a cell has a number or is the result of a formula is immaterial. It
looks the same to Excel. Also, showing us what you tried will always result
in better advice, as we have a better idea of what you are trying to do.

As a guess, see if this helps:
=if(or(a1=1,a1=2,a1=3,a1=4),a2,"none of the values found")

Regards,
Fred.

Hi!

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the formula:

=IF(E22=0,0):IF(E22=1,$G$9):IF(E22=2,$G$10):IF(E22 =3,$G$11)

Where e22 is the number 0, 1, 2, or 3.
So if a 0 is in e22, put in 0
If a 1 is in e22, put in the number from cell G9
If a 2 is in e22, put in the number from cell g10
If a 3 is in e22, put in the number from cell g11

Cells G9, G10 and G11 were originally the sum of another cell, that was
calculated with a formula. I changed this to paste the value of the formula
instead of the sum, but it didn't seem to help.

Thanks for your assistance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Luke M wrote:
Sounds like your doing a LOOKUP, or CHOOSE.

As Fred said, if you post more about what you are trying to do, we can be
more helpful.
Hi!

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the formula:

=IF(E22=0,0):IF(E22=1,$G$9):IF(E22=2,$G$10):IF(E22 =3,$G$11)

Where e22 is the number 0, 1, 2, or 3.
So if a 0 is in e22, put in 0
If a 1 is in e22, put in the number from cell G9
If a 2 is in e22, put in the number from cell g10
If a 3 is in e22, put in the number from cell g11

Cells G9, G10 and G11 were originally the sum of another cell, that was
calculated with a formula. I changed this to paste the value of the formula
instead of the sum, but it didn't seem to help.

Thanks for your assistance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are trying to nest a number of IF statements, so you need to think about
the placing of the parentheses and of your list separators. Excel help will
tell you about the syntax of an IF statement, and about nesting functions.

=IF(E22=0,0,IF(E22=1,$G$9,IF(E22=2,$G$10,IF(E22=3, $G$11,"answer
undefined"))))

Another option is to use VLOOKUP, which again is described in Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"kwoodward" <u48242@uwe wrote in message news:8ecd8e4b9fbc3@uwe...
Fred Smith wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David Biddulph wrote:
You are trying to nest a number of IF statements, so you need to think about
the placing of the parentheses and of your list separators. Excel help will
tell you about the syntax of an IF statement, and about nesting functions.

=IF(E22=0,0,IF(E22=1,$G$9,IF(E22=2,$G$10,IF(E22=3 ,$G$11,"answer
undefined"))))

Another option is to use VLOOKUP, which again is described in Excel help.
Whether a cell has a number or is the result of a formula is immaterial.
It

[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]

Thanks for your assistance!

This was incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!