Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

Default Last YTD average in columns with full year of data.

I have a previous year I need to average the months on. There are 12 months
of data. I need to compare the average to the number of months so far for
this year.
For example if in 2007 I had Jan through Dec as 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2
etc. and if we were currently in Nov then I want Excel to read the top of the
column that says "NOVEMBER" and only average up to that column. I thought of
using MONTH(TODAY())-1 to specify the 11 month and match to the heading of
NOVEMBER by reconginizing the text (NOVEMBER) with the formula MONTH(1&L2)
[L2 is the cell that has the text NOVEMBER in it. I just can't figure out how
to put it all together. I have to manually change the column reference by
hand each month so the average calculation only looks at the number of months
up to where we are currently.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Depends upon the columns, but let's assume the data is in columns B:M, you
could use

=SUM(B2:INDEX(B2:M2,1,MONTH(TODAY()))

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Assume B2:M2 houses the 12 month text labels in "mmmm" format: January, etc
Placed in say, N3:
=AVERAGE(OFFSET(A3,,MATCH(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm"),$B$ 2:$M$2,0),,-MATCH(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmmm"),$B$2:$M$2,0)))
would return the YTD average for row3. Copy N3 down as required.
--
Max
Singapore
"Joe" wrote:
I have a previous year I need to average the months on. There are 12 months
of data. I need to compare the average to the number of months so far for
this year.
For example if in 2007 I had Jan through Dec as 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2
etc. and if we were currently in Nov then I want Excel to read the top of the
column that says "NOVEMBER" and only average up to that column. I thought of
using MONTH(TODAY())-1 to specify the 11 month and match to the heading of
NOVEMBER by reconginizing the text (NOVEMBER) with the formula MONTH(1&L2)
[L2 is the cell that has the text NOVEMBER in it. I just can't figure out how
to put it all together. I have to manually change the column reference by
hand each month so the average calculation only looks at the number of months
up to where we are currently.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

Thanks sooooo much!

With a little mod it works great.

Starting the sheet with January in the upper left corner of the sheet in A1
the following is what worked for me:
=AVERAGE(A2:INDEX(A1:L2,1,MONTH(TODAY())))

Thanks again

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

That works great also but how would I modify it so it did not include the
current month in the calculation. In other words since I am closing November
in December I don't want to use December data and only want to average 11
months.

With =AVERAGE(GN19:INDEX(GN2:GY19,18,MONTH(TODAY()))) I just modified it to
=AVERAGE(GN19:INDEX(GN2:GY19,18,MONTH(TODAY())-1))

How would I do something similar with your solution?

Thank you

"Joe" wrote:
I have a previous year I need to average the months on. There are 12 months
of data. I need to compare the average to the number of months so far for
this year.
For example if in 2007 I had Jan through Dec as 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2
etc. and if we were currently in Nov then I want Excel to read the top of the
column that says "NOVEMBER" and only average up to that column. I thought of
using MONTH(TODAY())-1 to specify the 11 month and match to the heading of
NOVEMBER by reconginizing the text (NOVEMBER) with the formula MONTH(1&L2)
[L2 is the cell that has the text NOVEMBER in it. I just can't figure out how
to put it all together. I have to manually change the column reference by
hand each month so the average calculation only looks at the number of months
up to where we are currently.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why would you need to if the other solution works?

--
HTH

Bob

"Joe" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

It works fine for month like November because I use the current month minus
1. But this won't work when I am in January since minus 1 will give me zero
which is not a month.