Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

Default Last YTD average in columns with full year of data.

I have a previous year I need to average the months on. There are 12 months
of data. I need to compare the average to the number of months so far for
this year.
For example if in 2007 I had Jan through Dec as 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2
etc. and if we were currently in Nov then I want Excel to read the top of the
column that says "NOVEMBER" and only average up to that column. I thought of
using MONTH(TODAY())-1 to specify the 11 month and match to the heading of
NOVEMBER by reconginizing the text (NOVEMBER) with the formula MONTH(1&L2)
[L2 is the cell that has the text NOVEMBER in it. I just can't figure out how
to put it all together. I have to manually change the column reference by
hand each month so the average calculation only looks at the number of months
up to where we are currently.