Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tia Tia is offline

Default color in cell

I have two cells that are involved. Say H15 has a drop down list of 3 items.
If "purchase order" is selected from the list of 3, I want J15 to turn
orange. Once that cell turns orange then the user knows he/she needs to fill
in that cell (j15) with text or numbers or both. Once they fill in j15 I
want the cell to go back to white. I think I've explained this clearly, if
not let me know.

Thanks,
Tia
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

In Excel 2007

Select cell J15
Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a
formula to determine which cells to format
Enter this formula in the box below:
=AND(H15="purchase order",J15="")
Click the Format button
Select the Fill tab
Select the desired color
OK out

In Excel versions 2003 and earlier

Select cell J15
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=AND(H15="purchase order",J15="")
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select the desired color
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Tia" wrote in message
I have two cells that are involved. Say H15 has a drop down list of 3
items.
If "purchase order" is selected from the list of 3, I want J15 to turn
orange. Once that cell turns orange then the user knows he/she needs to
fill
in that cell (j15) with text or numbers or both. Once they fill in j15 I
want the cell to go back to white. I think I've explained this clearly,
if
not let me know.

Thanks,
Tia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select J15 and then click Format/Conditional Formatting from Excel's menu
bar. Select "Formula Is" in the first drop down and then put this formula in
the blank field that appeared...

=AND(J15="",H15="Purchase")

Next, click the Format button, select the Patterns tab and pick a color you
like, then OK your way back to the worksheet.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Tia" wrote in message
I have two cells that are involved. Say H15 has a drop down list of 3
items.
If "purchase order" is selected from the list of 3, I want J15 to turn
orange. Once that cell turns orange then the user knows he/she needs to
fill
in that cell (j15) with text or numbers or both. Once they fill in j15 I
want the cell to go back to white. I think I've explained this clearly,
if
not let me know.

Thanks,
Tia