Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Why is the formula displaying rather than the actual value?

I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers -- but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on Exel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The cell was formatted as text when you entered the formula. Format as
General AND re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER); just reformatting is not
enough!

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jgoetter" wrote in message
I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers -- but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on Exel
2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

In addition to John's point when you have re-formatted as general it still
won't work until you re-enter the formula so with the cell still selected tap
F2 and press enter.

Mike

"jgoetter" wrote:

I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers -- but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on Exel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No change after ensuring all formats are general & re-entering formula -- the
formula is still displaying rather than the value (which is displaying
correctly in the cell I'm referencing in my formula)

"jgoetter" wrote in message
I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers -- but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on Exel
2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When I open the format cells dialog (checking that the general format is
applied to the formula cell), the 'sample' area displays the value correctly,
exactly as I want it to appear in the cell....but the formula is what's
displayed.

"jgoetter" wrote in message
I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers -- but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on Exel
2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Then follow John's advice: hit CTRL+`

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jgoetter" wrote in message
I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary
cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on
Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the
formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers --
but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on
Exel
2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

On these forums its hard to read Ctrl+`
So instead choose Tools, Options, View and uncheck Formulas

Ctrl+` is the Control key with the unshifed ~ key, which is usually at the
left of the 1 key on the top row.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"jgoetter" wrote in message
I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers -- but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on Exel
2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you all for your help. I was doing CTRL+apostrophe rather than the
tilde key.
Kind Regards,
Jacki G

"jgoetter" wrote in message
I am concatenating (6) text string cells values into a single/summary
cell
(H12) on Sheet1 -- then want to display this summary cell value on
Sheet2.

I am using the formula ='sheet1'!H12 in the Sheet2 cell -- but the
formula
is displaying rather than the actual value of the sheet1 H12 cell.

The formula works fine for me in other situations using numbers --
but am
having trouble displaying the values in this text situation. Am on
Exel
2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad you got it working eventually!
So, Shane was right, difficult to read on the forum

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel