Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rod Rod is offline

Default Find Ranking

Hello,

I have A10 to B19:
988,596 1
874,126 2
805,272 3
753,053 4
743,739 5
734,685 6
665,335 7
643,460 8
640,664 9
633,636 10

If the number 743,740 is calcualated in another cell, say D10, I would like
to return 5 because 743,740 is the 5th ranked number.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

<743,740 is the 5th ranked number

I don't think so. It's the 4th.

What makes you think it is 5th?

If I'm right, this is the formula:

=INDEX(B10:B19,MATCH(D1,A10:A19,-1))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Rod" wrote in message
Hello,

I have A10 to B19:
988,596 1
874,126 2
805,272 3
753,053 4
743,739 5
734,685 6
665,335 7
643,460 8
640,664 9
633,636 10

If the number 743,740 is calcualated in another cell, say D10, I would
like
to return 5 because 743,740 is the 5th ranked number.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:06:06 -0800, Rod
wrote:

Hello,

I have A10 to B19:
988,596 1
874,126 2
805,272 3
753,053 4
743,739 5
734,685 6
665,335 7
643,460 8
640,664 9
633,636 10

If the number 743,740 is calcualated in another cell, say D10, I would like
to return 5 because 743,740 is the 5th ranked number.

Thanks.

If by "rank of a number in cell C1 compared to some other numbers in
cells A10 to A19" you mean one more than the number of numbers in the
cells A10 to A19 that are greater than number in cell C1, this is one
way of getting the result:

=SUMPRODUCT(0+(A10:A19C1))+1

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions