Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Curtis

Default Ranking

I am trying to use the RANK function but I keep getting the largest number
ranked the highest. I need to rank it the lowest

Anyone???

Thanks

ce
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Use

=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,1)

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Curtis" wrote in message
I am trying to use the RANK function but I keep getting the largest number
ranked the highest. I need to rank it the lowest

Anyone???

Thanks

ce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Curtis

Thanks, but that ranks the lowest number as 1. What I need is to rank the
highest number as 1.

"Curtis" wrote in message
I am trying to use the RANK function but I keep getting the largest number
ranked the highest. I need to rank it the lowest

Anyone???

Thanks

ce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

"Curtis" wrote in message
"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

"Curtis" wrote in message
I am trying to use the RANK function but I keep getting the largest
number
ranked the highest. I need to rank it the lowest

Use

=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,1)

Thanks, but that ranks the lowest number as 1. What I need is to rank the
highest number as 1.

In which case, that is the default behaviour for RANK(). Leave out the ",1"
at the end & just use =RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10)

Hint: Excel has a help facility.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

But ranking as number one is the highest, or are you saying that "it is
ranked number 1" is not equal to the highest ranking? Regardless, if you
want to rank the other way just use zero or omit the last number. I guess I
misunderstood when you said

"I am trying to use the RANK function but I keep getting the largest number
ranked the highest. I need to rank it the lowest"

and with

1
5
10

my formula returns

1
2
3

So to me it sounds as if you mean the opposite to what you said