Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to show two students have same result?

How to show that two or more students having a same CGPA?
If there are 100 students,then the top of 2 students have the same CGPA,by
ranking they both are Num 1.

then how i resolve if there are more than one students who obtained similar
results in the top students category?

i'm using INDEX(array,row_num,[colunm_num])

thanks for ur kindly help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand but maybe rank

=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$100)

Mike

"DAVID Yii" wrote:

How to show that two or more students having a same CGPA?
If there are 100 students,then the top of 2 students have the same CGPA,by
ranking they both are Num 1.

then how i resolve if there are more than one students who obtained similar
results in the top students category?

i'm using INDEX(array,row_num,[colunm_num])

thanks for ur kindly help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The decision on how to resolve ties is up to you and then accordingly
a formula would be built. But say you would like to see how many times
the top score appears.

Say your students' scores are in cells A9:A17. Say in cells C9, C10
and down you have the ranks 1, 2, 3 etc. Then you can see how many
students are tied for each position with the following formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(RANK($A$9:$A$17,$A$9:$A$17,1)=C9))

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Nov 18, 4:35*pm, DAVID Yii <DAVID
wrote:
How to show that two or more students having a same CGPA?
If there are 100 students,then the top of 2 students have the same CGPA,by
ranking they both are Num 1.

then how i resolve if there are more than one students who obtained similar
results in the top students category?

i'm using INDEX(array,row_num,[colunm_num])

thanks for ur kindly help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Because i use the formula " INDEX(ABD1,MATCH(1,RANK,0),3) "

Then because there have 2 or more students get 1st ranking

Due to my this formula " INDEX(ABD1,MATCH(2,RANK,0),3) " has became N/A

So i have try this formula:
" IF(ISNA(INDEX(ABD1,MATCH(2,RANK,0),3)),<I DUNNO WANNA PUT WAT AT
HERE,INDEX(ABD1,MATCH(2,RANK,0),3)) "

i hope some1 can teach me what should i put on the blank

then can help me get the another student who is same 1st ranking also???

If got others formula , it is welcome also..
thanks again....

"DAVID Yii" wrote:

How to show that two or more students having a same CGPA?
If there are 100 students,then the top of 2 students have the same CGPA,by
ranking they both are Num 1.

then how i resolve if there are more than one students who obtained similar
results in the top students category?

i'm using INDEX(array,row_num,[colunm_num])

thanks for ur kindly help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, now I understand your problem. You need another formula, which
will not return the same number for ties. Thus, you can keep
everything else the same and use the following formula

=RANK(A9,$A$9:$A$17,0)+COUNTIF($A$9:A9,A9)-1

That's assuming that your scores are in A9:A17. The formula should be
copied down. If you have a tie for the top score then the first person
appearing in the list will be ranked 1st and the second one will be
ranked 2nd.

This is ONE way to resolve ties, I don't know if it is to your
satisfaction.

HTH
Kostis

"DAVID Yii" wrote:

How to show that two or more students having a same CGPA?
If there are 100 students,then the top of 2 students have the same CGPA,by
ranking they both are Num 1.

then how i resolve if there are more than one students who obtained similar
results in the top students category?

i'm using INDEX(array,row_num,[colunm_num])

thanks for ur kindly help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am glad! Thanks for the feedback.

Kostis