Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default TRIM Q

I am trying to use the TRIM function but it is not removing the space
I expect

A1 references to another field, and returns the value CT 1. I am
trying to remove the <space between T and 1. When I use the TRIM
function within cell A1 the value remains as CT 1. I have even checked
this with the LEN function and it returns 4.

The cell which A1 is referenced has a simple typed in value of CT 1,
the cell is formatted as General

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Nothing wrong, as that's the way TRIM functions.

From Excel's help, TRIM:
Removes all spaces from text except for single spaces between words
The space between "CT" and "1" is a single space, hence TRIM will not remove
it

You could try SUBSTITUTE
Eg in B1: =SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")
--
Max
Singapore
"Seanie" wrote in message
I am trying to use the TRIM function but it is not removing the space
I expect

A1 references to another field, and returns the value CT 1. I am
trying to remove the <space between T and 1. When I use the TRIM
function within cell A1 the value remains as CT 1. I have even checked
this with the LEN function and it returns 4.

The cell which A1 is referenced has a simple typed in value of CT 1,
the cell is formatted as General

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello

TRIM will always leave one space between words.
Try this with your text in B1:

=SUBSTITUTE(B1," ","")

Regards,
Per

"Seanie" skrev i meddelelsen
I am trying to use the TRIM function but it is not removing the space
I expect

A1 references to another field, and returns the value CT 1. I am
trying to remove the <space between T and 1. When I use the TRIM
function within cell A1 the value remains as CT 1. I have even checked
this with the LEN function and it returns 4.

The cell which A1 is referenced has a simple typed in value of CT 1,
the cell is formatted as General

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Aaah, thanks Guys

=TRIM Shayra Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 October 16th 08 07:16 PM
trim Chey Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 July 16th 07 07:58 PM
TRIM s99drf New Users to Excel 3 April 27th 07 08:46 PM
Trim stapleton2308 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 February 15th 06 06:09 PM
trim ferdy New Users to Excel 4 May 11th 05 11:10 AM