Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default =TRIM

Hi! I want to remove non-printing characters from exported data to save the
file in a comma delimitted format so I can import it into another program.

Anyways, I have used =TRIM formula to do so by duplicating the column of
data and in the "duplicate" column I put the trim formula. For example, if
A2 contains the original exported data, I copied the info in B2 and placed,
=TRIM(A2) in the B2 column. Then I hid the original column (A2) and saved
it. But when I open the CSV file both my hidden and unhidden columns show
up.

Since this is the only way I know how to use trim (by duplicating the
original data into another column. MY QUESTION IS: can I use the =TRIM
formula in the original data without making duplicates. And if so how? When
I try to do this it gives me a circular reference error and the orignal data
disappears. Help please.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can have a macro in your personal.xls and run it instead

here's how to install a macro

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/install.htm

Peo Sjoblom

"Shayra" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After entering the formulas in column B, select column B and Copy.

Select column A and EditPaste SpecialValues.

Delete column B

BTW..............TRIM just removes extra spaces, not single spaces between
words in a string.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:46:00 -0700, Shayra
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well if you are doing this on a regular basis that's the way to go
and TRIM does not take care of some characters but the macro does

I also included a link on how to install said macro

Peo Sjoblom

"Shayra" wrote in message
[...]

trim Chey Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 July 16th 07 07:58 PM
TRIM s99drf New Users to Excel 3 April 27th 07 08:46 PM
Trim stapleton2308 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 February 15th 06 06:09 PM
trim geza Excel Worksheet Functions 2 June 8th 05 07:03 PM
trim ferdy New Users to Excel 4 May 11th 05 11:10 AM