Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Compare 2 sets of data

I have 2 sets of data that i will place side by side and each record will
display on each row rather than columns. They will consist of the the same
amount of columns across. Example - ID, Last Name, First Name, Enter Date,
disability Code placed on row 1

I want to compare the first range of 5 columns on the first row to the next
5 columns on the same row. Ideally i would like to have an X placed on the
11th column as a sign of a discrepancy in data (If enter date in the first
range is different from the second set or Disability Code is different and so
on).

Would that be possible or would it be simpler to have something where the
different fields are highlighted. If D1 does not equal I1 or E1 does not
equal J1.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I just made up this long formula but it's giving me an error on the last
"IF". Also i think i have too many expressions to compare.

=IF(A2=J2," ","X",IF(B2=K2," ","X",IF(C2=L2," ","X",IF(D2=M2,"
","X",IF(E2=N2," ","X",IF(F2=O2," ","X",IF(G2=P2," ","X",IF(H2=Q2,"
","X",IF(I2=R2," ","X"))))))))))

"Juan" wrote:

I have 2 sets of data that i will place side by side and each record will
display on each row rather than columns. They will consist of the the same
amount of columns across. Example - ID, Last Name, First Name, Enter Date,
disability Code placed on row 1

I want to compare the first range of 5 columns on the first row to the next
5 columns on the same row. Ideally i would like to have an X placed on the
11th column as a sign of a discrepancy in data (If enter date in the first
range is different from the second set or Disability Code is different and so
on).

Would that be possible or would it be simpler to have something where the
different fields are highlighted. If D1 does not equal I1 or E1 does not
equal J1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Juan,
here is the formula that will enter the X if any of the values doesn't match

=+IF(AND(A3=F3,B3=G3,C3=H3,D3=I3,E3=J3),"","X")

If you want to highlight the cell where the information doesn't match use
the conditional formating

"Juan" wrote:

I have 2 sets of data that i will place side by side and each record will
display on each row rather than columns. They will consist of the the same
amount of columns across. Example - ID, Last Name, First Name, Enter Date,
disability Code placed on row 1

I want to compare the first range of 5 columns on the first row to the next
5 columns on the same row. Ideally i would like to have an X placed on the
11th column as a sign of a discrepancy in data (If enter date in the first
range is different from the second set or Disability Code is different and so
on).

Would that be possible or would it be simpler to have something where the
different fields are highlighted. If D1 does not equal I1 or E1 does not
equal J1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wow thank you Eduardo, that worked. Although i tried a conditional formual to
highlighted each cell that is different between the 2 ranges and it seems to
compared the cell on one row to the cell on the row above from the other
range.
I used the the formulas below with the named ranges of Aeries and SEIS.

=COUNTIF(SEIS,A2)=0
=COUNTIF(Aeries,A2)=0

"Juan" wrote:

I have 2 sets of data that i will place side by side and each record will
display on each row rather than columns. They will consist of the the same
amount of columns across. Example - ID, Last Name, First Name, Enter Date,
disability Code placed on row 1

I want to compare the first range of 5 columns on the first row to the next
5 columns on the same row. Ideally i would like to have an X placed on the
11th column as a sign of a discrepancy in data (If enter date in the first
range is different from the second set or Disability Code is different and so
on).

Would that be possible or would it be simpler to have something where the
different fields are highlighted. If D1 does not equal I1 or E1 does not
equal J1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Juan,
If you want to compare column A with F, you have to be positioned in Column
F, go to conditional formating, enter where the cell vallue is not equal to
A1, then go to format and choose fill and select the color you want press
ok , you should be able to see in preview the color choosen, then press ok
again. if the value doesn't match it will color the cell. Do once for each
column in the second serie of data and then copy the format down to the last
cell