Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default show 3 sets of data per data point in a scatter plot

I would like to be able to plot the pieces of info for each data point in a
scatter plot and have all the information appear when the mouse hovers above
each point, i.e.: Name of School, percentage of test takers, percentage
passed. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hello, Marie!
You wrote on Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:08:02 -0700:

M I would like to be able to plot the pieces of info for each
M data point in a scatter plot and have all the information
M appear when the mouse hovers above each point, i.e.: Name of
M School, percentage of test takers, percentage passed. Is
M this possible?

I'll admit I don't know how to do this but is a scatter plot
appropriate anyway? This is a little unusual since much more
often people try to plot scatter data in a line plot :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

More often than not, people use a line chart, because they think it's the
only way to connect points with a line. But they get unexpected results
because they needed both X and Y value axes to portray their data, which an
XY chart provides, while a Line chart treats X values as categorical data.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ValueAxis.html

I surmise from her description that Marie has selected an appropriate chart
type for her requirements.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello, Marie!
You wrote on Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:08:02 -0700:

M I would like to be able to plot the pieces of info for each
M data point in a scatter plot and have all the information
M appear when the mouse hovers above each point, i.e.: Name of
M School, percentage of test takers, percentage passed. Is
M this possible?

I'll admit I don't know how to do this but is a scatter plot appropriate
anyway? This is a little unusual since much more often people try to plot
scatter data in a line plot :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Marie -

Excel doesn't have this capability built-in, but it is flexible enough that
clever programmers can provide similar functionality. In this case, the
clever programmer is my colleague Tushar Mehta. On his web site
(http://tushar-mehta.com) is a utility called Chart Hover Labels, which will
do what you need.

- Jon
-------

"Marie" wrote in message
I would like to be able to plot the pieces of info for each data point in a
scatter plot and have all the information appear when the mouse hovers
above
each point, i.e.: Name of School, percentage of test takers, percentage
passed. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! It worked perfectly. The only thing left is
to figure out how to spread out the points a bit so that the names do not
cluster together (making them illegible). However, I believe I just need to
make the x-axis number range smaller (instead of a range between 0-20, I will
make it 0-5, 6-10, ect)...is this correct?

-Marie

"Marie" wrote in message
I would like to be able to plot the pieces of info for each data point in a
scatter plot and have all the information appear when the mouse hovers
above
each point, i.e.: Name of School, percentage of test takers, percentage
passed. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

MArie,
Not sure if this will get to you since it has been nearly 2 years but I will
ask anyway. You indicte you got this add-in to work. But I am running Excel
2002 and can not get it to work. Keep getting run-time error 91 which
translate to not referencing a valid variable. What version of Excel were you
using?