Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cat Cat is offline

Default conditional formatting using a formula

Good afternoon everyone,

I am using Excell 2007 and need a wee bit of help working out a formula for
the following:

6 columns - B (blank), C(blank), D,E,F(data: text/numerics, font regular),
H(numerics, font regular)

In col B, when I enter "A", I would like:
cols B and C to fill with bright red (excell palette)
cols D,E,F and H to fill with salmon colour(excell palette) and text turn to
bold

In col B, when I enter "B", I would like:
cols B and C to fill with violet (excell palette)
cols D,E,F and H to fill with salmon colour (excell palette) and text to
turn to bold and red

I have tried using the formula in conditional formatting but to no effect;
it simply is'nt working. At the moment, I use the format painter to copy the
above whenever I enter A or B, but it's too slow.

Can anybody help me please?

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

To conditionally format your cell(s):

In 2007:
1. Highlight all the cells on the rows you want formatted, in the first case
say B2:C100
2. Choose Home, Conditional Formatting, New Rule
3. Choose Use a formula to determine which cell to format
4. In the Format values where this formula is true enter the following
formula:
=$B2="A"
5. Click the Format button and choose a format.
6. Click OK twice

Repeat similarly while selecting D2:H100 (Same formula)
When you press the Format, on the Font tab choose Bold style, on the Fill
tab pick your color.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"CAT" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cat Cat is offline

Hi Shane,

Thank you so much; it works like a dream : I've altered your formula to
start at $B4 (to take my headers into account) and applied it to all the
columns needed, and it does exactly what I wanted.

Just one more thing: I've duplicated my working sheet to see it it worked
but if I want to apply it now say from row 1880 on my present working sheet
(or when I'll be starting a new worbook next month, do I use the COPY Option
(for the formulaes) or do I use the Format Painter onto the following blank
rows (or do I simply start from scratch from row 1880 ?

A big thank you.
CAT